Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Why I have Pot that may be Decades Old

My uncle is a man in his 50's who never really grew up. He did lots of partying when he lived in the Bay Area in the 70's and is a very cool and laid back guy, we frequently talk about college and life and whatnot. I have never inquired into his drug past, my mother told me some things and I get the feeling he doesn't like to talk about it. He knows I smoke pot, but I don't like to flaunt that I do, I don't want to put him in a position to choose what he tells my family.
He left for a couple of days while I was visiting for spring break (my college is close by) and left me alone in the house. So this was a perfect opportunity to get some quality sessions in. Unfortunately I had pot and no piece. We've all done the apple, the coke can, the water bottle, etc. But I know that my late Grandfather smoked tobacco in pipes until he died. So I tried to find some old pipes around the house, memorabilia that my Uncle might have collected. I got a little aggresive in the search and ended up looking in my Uncles shelves above his closet. Lo and behold I find a 6 in. by 12 in. box, about 2 in. deep, with

1) about 5 bags of what looks like, on first glance, to be old pot. Brownish and crunchy rather than green and sticky, but def pot. Each bag holds a little less than ~eighth.
2) Lots of loose pot in the bottom of the container, same grade
3) Wrapping papers, not recently used (full)
4) A piece, which looked more recent than something that wouldve been used in the 70s.(colored glass, didnt seem too old)
5) Joint holders (circular flat pieces of stone with a tunnel through them)
6) A second piece, made of wood with a sliding grate over the bowl that you light it through?

It all confuses me. If it is his: why is it so old? Did he just keep all his pot from his youth? And why is the first pipe half packed sitting on top of a lighter? I'm sure theres some reason for it, but I can't just tell him how I came across it.

Secondly, my grandfather was a prof at Berkeley for a long time in the 60's through the 80's. I could so see him toking up with his students ala Animal House. Could the pot and the older wooden piece be his?

I smoked two bowls of this stuff before I even felt a buzz. After the third bowl and two joints I felt a lil high. I don't know how long THC can remain on pot before it loses its potency, but this stuff was pretty weak.

I feel bad for snooping, but I didn't go through anything that looked important or personal (this box was open btw). Nevertheless, I feel pretty awful about even looking. Not about smoking out of my dead grandfather's tobacco pipe, rather, for possibly violating my uncle's privacy. Can I salvage this pot for $$$ even though it sucks or should I just smoke mass quantities of it? Should I leave it alone? How bad am I of a person for looking?

That said, snatch and run?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Why I have Pot that may be Decades Old

Supposedly older pot from the 60's and 70's etc was much less potent than the stuff we get today, so I doubt the THC has faded or whatnot I think that's just how it was then. I wouldn't sell it unless you can find someone you aren't going to see again... and you almost certainly can't confront him about it, I'd wait until the deathbed to bring it up.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:27 AM

Was it just dirt weed? I'm pretty sure THC degrades from contact with air and there wouldn't be any left in weed that old.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it just dirt weed? I'm pretty sure THC degrades from contact with air and there wouldn't be any left in weed that old.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were in baggies though, could've been sealed/airtight/etc
Old 03-11-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It all confuses me. If it is his: why is it so old? Did he just keep all his pot from his youth? And why is the first pipe half packed sitting on top of a lighter? I'm sure theres some reason for it, but I can't just tell him how I came across it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon Uncle and Grandpa were having a toke in the 70's and nearly got busted by Grandma, Uncle had to stash the box quick, and they then forgot where it was.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 AM

take a pic, I want to see this ancient herb.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Baggies breathe too.

Sounds like what happens with herbs like the kind you use in cooking, if you don't seal the jar. Volatile oil evaporates, and there goes the flava. Or in this case, maybe some of the other chemicals in those volatile oils. Oh well.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:59 AM

sorry, no digital camera here that I know of. When I get back to school tomorrow I'll try to find one.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 AM

i wouldnt take it. uncle may not have forgotten about, just quit. some day he may look for it and will know who took it; thats gonna make you feel bad. if you do take it, do the butter or alcohol tricks to get any THC out of it.

dont be a nit and try to sell it unless upfront that its crap.

why not just ask unc for it? he'll prolly smile and say yes.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:43 AM

whoa whoa what alkie and butter tricks? if i ask uncle for it I have to explain why I was in his high up shelf inside his closet, the box not exactly in plain sight. Plus I don't really want or need it that much, it sucks and I would rather not smoke at all than take it and have miserable [censored] highs for a while.