Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Game film

I am thinking of having enough DVRs to record every NBA game that is on league pass for next season and just start building a database. Does anyone do this currently, either as an individual or as a group currently in order to watch all the games? For all the stat work that I put in, I still find watching the actual games to be the most important part of the process. I would also be interested in technology that can take recorded games from the DVR and put them onto a computer or just record them straight to a computer so I can build a database of games and watch them multiple times. I'm not worried about the money or time, so any help offered is great.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Game film

if you're going to try this, you should first try it w/ncaabb, where you can likely find a better edge. also try to concentrate on one certain conference, this will allow you to focus a lot better, you can always expand once you conquer the initial stage.

i do have some experience w/ watching moneyline sports, however, you must take into consideration that you are no better armed than a die-hard hardcore fan who watches every game to support his team. in other words, watching the games are only worth it if you can process the observed information differently than the masses.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:00 PM

I think you'll be better off skipping the DVR and build a couple computers which do it directly, using either MythTV (free) or one of the commercial PVR packages.

In general, like with the DVR you'll need a separate tuner for everything you want to record simultaneously, which generally in the computers means a separate video card. That would mean several computers, as it would be far less expensive than building one beefy enough to handle (5?) games at once. You could have them all recording to a single central server though if you preferred.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in other words, watching the games are only worth it if you can process the observed information differently than the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 100% confidence in my ability to do this.
Sometimes it ends up being to my detriment though.

Seems to me that successful handicapping always comes down to interpreting the information differently=more correctly vs. the masses.

I find something like watching entire games to be useful in baseball where you can see how well a pitcher was actually performing instead of relying on the box-score.
I like to see if there were fluky hits or really hard line-drive outs, if his pitches seemed to be moving pretty well, etc.

A few bloop singles that lead to a 4-run 3rd inning and early exit doesn't tell the whole story.