FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Weak Trips on Flop - my line?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Can anyone give me some basic ideas to keep in mind in these situations? During the hand I was thinking that an overpair was a large part of villains range and I thought raising might define my hand - but then I realized that raising folds hands that I beat and gains action from hands that I'm behind to. Is raising the flop ever right?

Only read is that BB has been fairly aggressive in the few hands I've seen him play.

Stack sizes:
UTG: $16.05
UTG+1: $56.05
CO: $32.15
Hero: $23.70
SB: $28.05
BB: $37.25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1</font>, UTG folds, Hero?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Weak Trips on Flop - my line?

Things to keep in mind in these situations:

1) what kind of trips? Do you have as here a situation where there isn't an overcard to the board trips meaning you can't be drawing dead?

2) unraised pot/raised pot - no reason to go broke in an unraised pot with board trips especially when there are no draws.

3) in position vs. OOP - when you are OOP you can take one stab or just c/c and be through with it if you don't fill and are facing another big bet. OOP you are at a severe disadvantage even with an A kicker to your trips, because you have to fear every card that doesn't fill you and are subject to being bluffed off the best hand or making a bad call, as you can't control the action and pot size OOP.

With position however it is you who are happy to let a player OOP build a big pot and never be sure he can get a checked river when he wants one, while you can bluff him off at will assuming he's capable of folding. Just be sure you don't escalate the action when not full and not leave enough left for a full psb on the river.

4) side cards - do you have, as in this situation, 3 overcards to the lowest flop card? If yes be willing to go further, but if no, including something like A239 don't go broke or dump big when not full.

5) player dependant factors - will the opponent go broke without being full here? In a raised pot will he keep pushing AA without the board set? Will he pay off if you fill and he doesn't?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Weak Trips on Flop - my line?

personally, i like just calling here, the worst thing ever would be for him to raise.