Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Default b/f versus c/c

I have noticed in many post, that in certain cases, people have offered advice of a b/f on the river hu, when hero has a piece of the board and villain just called a bet or a raise on the prior street (turn), versus a play of c/c on the river. If you are willing to put out a bet, why not c/c to a) see what villain has b) possibly win the pot. I ask because maybe this is a flaw in my game, as I would normally c/c, if I feel I might have second best, versus b/f.
Once again, my thinking is if I am willing to invest a bet on the river, why not c/c versus, b/f?

Little insight on my play: 10/20 player. I am pretty much a tight player who will mix it up some what, but play ABC poker for the most part. I mentioned this to give you an idea of my play, and like I said, maybe the question I ask, is a glaring flaw in my game.

I’d appreciate clarification on the b/f versus the c/c and advice if I am wrong in this scenario?

THANKS!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: b/f versus c/c

if you check, most passive folks will check behind with worse hands that they might have called with....

if you bet and they don't bluff raise the river... you'll get a bet in when you're ahead if they just call and you can fold to a river raise when you're obviously behind a better hand..
Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 PM

It is situational however sometimes it is better to bet since the opponent will pay you one more bet when he would have checked behind you if you would have checked
Usualy you use B/F against players who are not capable of bluff raising the river..so when they raise your bet on the river you can safely fold your hand knowing you are beat
but you gain value from him calling with the hands that are behind your hand. exapmle : you decide to defend your BB against a MP raiser with K-9 of clubs.....flop is Ks-3s-2h
you decide to bet out and he raise and you call.....turn:7d
you check he bets and you call....river 2c...now you think
there is a good chance he will pay you off with j-j or q-q
type hand putting you on missed draw when you bet out...
but if you check he will check behind with those hands so you might loose value...he also might pay your net with A-Q of spades....but if he raise you you know your K is no good ..since he is not capable of blff raising
Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM

There are also some less common scenarios where they might check behind with a hand that does have you beat, and in those scenarios you lose a bet when you take the bet/fold line. Check/call can also induce a bluff with a hand that they may not have called with had you bet, netting you an extra big bet.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Because you're generally a lot more likely to collect a bet from a worse hand than to induce a bluff.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks every one for your posts and comments!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Suppose you have A9 & flop Axx.You bet the flop & turn against 1 caller.You know your opponent extremely well.On the river,you know that he would have already raised with AQ or better.So his hand range is pretty much a pair of A's with a kicker of J or smaller.You know that if you bet,he will raise with AJ or A10 & call with any other A.If you check,he will bet with A8 or better.Betting & folding gains whenever his hand is A7 or worse.

This example is probably not very well done,but I hope it illustrates the situation that you seem to be struggling with.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 AM

I am in your position - fairly new to live 10/20 and almost always C/C on the river with mediocre hands... The problem as I see it is that B/F may be far better in many cases (as noted already) but you have to be able to fold!!! If you are like me - and talk yourself into a call anyway it is a catastrophe... I am trying to integrate this strategy slowly - against loose passive fish only (because they never raise without the goods on the river).
Old 03-09-2007, 12:55 PM

You can't catigorically say that one play is better than the other.You have to mix them up according to the situation.If a lagtard is betting all the way in position & you think that he's on air,the check/call has got to be best.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Here's a situation where you might want to b/f

You've got 67s and defend your bb to a button steal. Flop is 236r you c/r button calls. Turn 3 you bet buttons calls river 9. Button's most likely hand range is Ax, Kx and PPs that are scared. If you check he will most likely bet his PPs that have you beat and check behind with Ax and Kx type hands. If you bet, he might just pay off w/some of his better Ax type hands. If however, he raises you on the river, its unlikely he's got a hand that you beat and you can fold w/some confidence. Note that this is of course player dependant and not the line I advocate taking against every player in this type of situation.