Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Marginal hand on the river. Opinions sought.

I think that my river play w/ marginal hands is the weakest part of my game and I'm trying to improve it. This is the sort of hand that gives me the most trouble so I'd like to know how you folks approach it:

20-40 at CAZ. I'll mention that today's main game was one of the worst I've played in for months. Very taggy w/ too many decent players. Normally I would leave and come back but on Tues. and Wed. nights the tourny will prevent me from getting a seat for at least 2-3 hours so I'm waiting it out.

UTG is somewhat new to me. I've only seen him play once before and I think he plays a good game, taggy/tricky and disciplined.

The hand:

UTG raises and it's folded to me in the BB. I call w/ 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG raises, I 3-bet, UTG 4-bets, I call.

Turn:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets, I call.

River:

10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

OK, what would you folks do with this?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Marginal hand on the river. Opinions sought.

b/f
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 AM

I like check and call better than bet/fold. You pick off AK occasionally, and you are putting in one bet either way. He is likely to follow through on a bluff since he thinks there is a good chance you missed your draw. If he checks behind, oh well. He played it very strong, I don't think that is happening very often.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 AM

I thought about it more, and b/f seems awefully transparent. We have to show this down. c/c.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 AM

First of all I think you get more info on Villians hand if you c/r the flop instead of betting out, if he does happen to check behind you, so what? you get a free turn where he might have AT+. Anyways besides that, his action so far would state to me his range is more towards 99+ then say Ace high, c/f is too weak considering the size of the pot. so in order I would 1) check/call 2) bet/fold 3) check/fold, but at this point you are getting 9 to 1 on a check/call so check/fold shouldnt even be considered imo. It might even be possible he had AdQd, hmm..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 AM

I think I can see myself doing almost anything but check/raising this river. I am leaning toward c/c and hope for the best because I feel like betting is just begging to get raised, and I have no clue if he'd do it with a worse hand and I don't really want to put in 2 bets.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I can see myself doing almost anything but check/raising this river. I am leaning toward c/c and hope for the best because I feel like betting is just begging to get raised, and I have no clue if he'd do it with a worse hand and I don't really want to put in 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Leaning to c/c' was just what I was thinking for the reasons you've mentioned. I wanted to run this by you folks just in case someone can justify a different line. If it were against a more straight-forward player perhaps a b/f would be proper?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 AM

What is the rule in CAZ regarding who turns their hand over first? If it's last aggressor, c/c. if it's position, bet.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all I think you get more info on Villians hand if you c/r the flop instead of betting out, if he does happen to check behind you, so what? you get a free turn where he might have AT+. Anyways besides that, his action so far would state to me his range is more towards 99+ then say Ace high, c/f is too weak considering the size of the pot. so in order I would 1) check/call 2) bet/fold 3) check/fold, but at this point you are getting 9 to 1 on a check/call so check/fold shouldnt even be considered imo. It might even be possible he had AdQd, hmm..

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points except that I don't like the c/r flop line in this case. I want to show strength, maybe get him to fold his Ace-Face or even 88-66. Wishful thinking perhaps. I was going to lead any non A,K,or 3 turn card. His flop 4 bet put an end to THAT plan.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the rule in CAZ regarding who turns their hand over first? If it's last aggressor, c/c. if it's position, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okaaaaaaaay. At CAZ I show 1st if we both check. Otherwise it's last aggressor. You're making a point about image?