Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Help please, not an expert but I\'ve been playing a long time

I have recently noticed that I get in the money most of the time I play in MTT but usually I'm only getting my money back or finishing out of the real payday's. I feel that I'm playing solidly but when there is a lull in the cards, and the blinds are up, I never know when to make moves and such. Let say im in the final 30 of a big mtt. I have the average stack but because the cards arent coming my way, after 30 mins im in the lower 20%. Then I'll make a raise with ak, get re-raised all in by bigger stack holding 77 and I lose when i call. I have won a few larger MTT's in my 7 years of playing poker. I have a real job and only play about 5 tourney's a week. I feel my game is sharp yet when it comes down to the end, im always left hoping to double up instead of picking guys off, what can I do differently? Take more chances once im in the money? Take more chances early?

My other thought is that I dont know when to re-steal and things like that. I usually only get chips when I raise with a real hand and either take it down right there, or someone goes all in vs me and i have the best hand. I almost never accumulate any chips trying to steal or re-steal and i'm sure i lose more chips making moves than I win. Are there things I can pick up on, some simple "stealing chips for dummies" I can read?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Help please, not an expert but I\'ve been playing a long time

I should also mention that I almost never watch the other players unless im in the hand. I always play online in front of my TV, I just can't be bothered to dedicate 5 or 6 hours to staring at a computer screen. I know watching the other players is key, and I try once im in the money but are my chances of winning that much less by not paying attention the whole tourney?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I should also mention that I almost never watch the other players unless im in the hand. I always play online in front of my TV, I just can't be bothered to dedicate 5 or 6 hours to staring at a computer screen. I know watching the other players is key, and I try once im in the money but are my chances of winning that much less by not paying attention the whole tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really need to ask that question?

[ QUOTE ]

My other thought is that I dont know when to re-steal and things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, gee, I wonder how one might acquire the information necessary to make a resteal. Perhaps paying attention to those who are stealing the most often, what they showdown, and what they do when played back it.

Pokertracker + PAhud would probably help, but it won't tell you everything.

cjx
Old 03-07-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel my game is sharp yet when it comes down to the end, im always left hoping to double up instead of picking guys off, what can I do differently? Take more chances once im in the money? Take more chances early?

My other thought is that I dont know when to re-steal and things like that. I almost never accumulate any chips trying to steal or re-steal and i'm sure i lose more chips making moves than I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I should also mention that I almost never watch the other players unless im in the hand. I just can't be bothered to dedicate 5 or 6 hours to staring at a computer screen. <font color="red"> I know watching the other players is key,</font> and I try once im in the money but are my chances of winning that much less by not paying attention the whole tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm ....
Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM

lol...basically what cjx said but i dont want to sound like such of a douche [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] im sure he didnt mean it in that tone but it did come out like that...basically pay attention if u want to resteal...thats the only way...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM

Read through the MTT anthology by clicking on the appropriate sticky post.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Unless you get sick cards throughout the entire tournament you will never make the final table without studying your opponents.

Great players don't sit around and wait for cards. You have to steal the antes and blinds, sense weakness and drive your opponents out and most of the time when you have garbage.

If you aren't watching the other players then you will never be able to do the above successfully.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Ok, I shouldn't have made it sound like I'm a total amature, you guys must think i have my eyes close while i play too. It's obvious you have to watch the players and know when to steal, and I do steal blinds regularily when i see fit. My question was more towards the end of the tourney, where a steal attempt can cost you 1/4 of your stack or more because the blinds are so high. I know you can't win without having reads on other players. Does anyone have any info that I don't already know? Or is it all just luck and watching your opponents and hoping they will do what you expect them to do....cause lets be honest, we can't see there cards and while a guy might have folded to a re-raise 3 of the last 3 times, he could have aa this time and you lose!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any info that I don't already know? Or is it all just luck and watching your opponents and hoping they will do what you expect them to do

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't take "luck" to watch and react to their tendencies.

I guess this is like anything ... if you want diversion then you've got it. If you want to do well then you have to pay a price.

Only you can decide if it is worth it
Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM

It may cost you 1/4 of your stack, but if you have been paying attention to the opfor you will know which of them are most likely to feel the pressure of risking 1/3-1/5 of their stack to call your raise, let alone try a resteal.

Turn off the TV and see who you need to pick on.