Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Default AA on ugly board vs. TAG, shorthanded, facing aggression

Sorry for HH, again. I will use a converter asap, when I switch sites. Really needed feedback here though. I have been playing pretty agg with position here, shorthanded, and villain has been TAG, no showdowns from him yet. Pretty new to table.

Freeloadfred $23.50
hero $97.50
villain $105.50

hero Set dealer
villain Ante/Small blind $ 0.50 22:30:59
Freeloadfred Big blind

hero [A A]
hero Raise $ 3.50
villain Call $ 3.00
Freeloadfred Fold $ 1.00
Last active pot = $8.00 2
Card dealt to table 5d 8h 3s
villain Check
hero Bet $ 5.00
villain Raise $ 19.50
hero Call $ 14.50
Betting round completed Last active pot = $47.00
Card dealt to table [2d]
villain Bet $ 18.50
hero Call $ 18.50
Betting round completed Last active pot = $84.00

Card dealt to table [Jc]
villain All-in $ 64.00
hero???
Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: AA on ugly board vs. TAG, shorthanded, facing aggression

call
Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 AM

This is a tough spot. I think you could've put in a re-raise on the flop, to protect you hand or find out it's no good. AA is still a big hand on the flop when it's a HU pot in a 3 handed game.

His bet on the turn was strange, a bit small. If you're gonna call there you may as well re-raise the flop.

When he fires all in on the river I would Fold the hand as played. You really can only beat a bluff. Unless he was slow playing KK or QQ pre flop you can only win if he is on a huge bluff.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough spot. I think you could've put in a re-raise on the flop, to protect you hand or find out it's no good. AA is still a big hand on the flop when it's a HU pot in a 3 handed game.

His bet on the turn was strange, a bit small. If you're gonna call there you may as well re-raise the flop.

When he fires all in on the river I would Fold the hand as played. You really can only beat a bluff. Unless he was slow playing KK or QQ pre flop you can only win if he is on a huge bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree with most of this. A flop raise really sucks, unless you think villan will call w/ like 89 8T or someother pretty heroic call. Only op can really say, raising here for info/protection is v bad as often it is folding air and getting called by sets, this board is super dry. Also calling the turn is not at all the same as putting in a reraise on the flop. I dont think raising the turn is bad/is possible but would like it much more if villan makes heroic calls. And on the river he really only loses to a set/straight , but his range here is def like set/straight or air. Again this is all player dependant, but against most people I am calling this river and I dont think it is that incredibly close v random taggish player. Also 64 4A are the only straights that got there and I think are rather discountable here.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM

I just really put him on a set after the check-raise preflop, wasn't worried about completion of any draws.

What messed me up was the check-raise. I started thinking he wanted to build a pot here. He knows I'll raise with suited connectors (and a very wide range, shorthanded), so I well could be cbetting a strong draw here. Maybe it was intended to take pot down right away, but I felt he wanted a pot built.

I just don't know how deep he is thinking either. It could be as shallow as thinking "I'm probably good here, and I know he always cbets, so I'll just check-raise for value." He also could have been thinking that I have kept pots small to this point, and I would probably be pushed off a hand on an ugly board like this--especially since he flat called my raise preflop. And he would want to do this if he was irritated with having me raising his blinds a lot already.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 AM

I agree with some of this, you will only get action from better hands with a re-raise. But unless a guy is a maniac who likes to go nuts with nothing, calling off your entire stack over three streets is not the correct play IMO. It could be the right play against some I guess, A c/r on the turn will run you into to the same problem a flop re-raise would. However you would get more value vs. air. I still prefer a re-raise on the flop over a call, then two check calls for his entire stack.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM

call.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 AM

Hes in position and not check calling his stack away. Also, like I said for both turn and flop, raises are fine if he wants to make heroic calls/plays and not so good otherwise.

Also if villan doesnt bluff/isnt capable of it this is a usually a fold. If he isnt bluffing, most people are not value betting JJ TT 89 here. Unless he raises his pairs and value bets superthin/dumbly/too often, if he doesnt bluff you should obv fold somewhere. In general, highly read dependant which you didnt really give.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still prefer a re-raise on the flop over a call, then two check calls for his entire stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he raises pot on the flop, there is like $32 in. Many of you are advocating a raise here, but that would essentially commit me--a pot raise would leave me with $30 behind, in a large pot. So would you advocate a smallish raise, say to $55, with a $32 pot after his flop raise? Then I have maybe closer to $40 behind, and can muck to a shove? Or am I automatically playing for all my chips here, if I reraise flop? That was my tough decision.

Looking back, I realize that his turn bet was a little small, and should've probably told me I was good. Never know at SSNL though, this could have been his value bet, esepcially if he has a set and puts me on a big pp.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 AM

I don't really have a read yet, like I said. He folded a few times to my positional raises, preflop, and I had no prior history with him. No reason for me to think he was annoyed with me bullying a short table.

I still don't! Who calls a raise OOP preflop, check-raises flop on a nasty board, then bets weakly on turn and shoves remaining 1/2 stack on river? None of it adds up..