Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Number of dates w/ no action before you say: Enough is enough.
1-3 17 18.09%
4-6 53 56.38%
7 7 7.45%
For Christ's sake man, move on already! 3 3.19%
What kind of loser needs to go on a date to get laid? 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Default your reality and information (with poll)

On this board we sometimes discuss the interplay between reality, consciousness, and information. I present here a hypothetical designed to get you to confront exactly how much of 'you' is really just information.

The problem is this -- we've constructed something like a star trek transporter. Except, it doesn't disassemble you, transmit your energy and re-assemble you. Instead, it does the following: It measures the state of your body precisely (the state of all the particles in your body) -- this is a very invasive procedure, though, so you are quickly and almost painlessly destroyed. What is left is the physical remains of your body on the floor -- the stuff that used to be you. However, another blob of chemicals is waiting in the next chamber, in quite a special state. It's state is such that it can be manipulated to create a new/identical version of 'you' with the information gained from the measurement process -- you retain all memories, etc that you had before. (this setup is somewhat analogous to what is known as 'quantum teleportation')

The question is, would you use such a device for travel (assuming perfect reliability)? In a very real sense, your body dies and is left on the floor after each use. However, there is always a 'perfect' replacement.

I think your answer depends on whether you think of yourself as 'information only' or whether you ascribe significance to the actual matter that makes up your body/mind, and the act of 'taking the life from it.'
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: your reality and information (with poll)

Wanna arm-wrestle?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Do we get to play that star trek "desperate fight to the death" music in the background?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Nah.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do we get to play that star trek "desperate fight to the death" music in the background?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but whatever song was playing the bar during the referenced scene in "The Fly" is fair game.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM

Old 03-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Did the version in "the fly" actually terminate "occupant #1" and leave the physical remains? It's been a long time, but I don't remember that.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did the version in "the fly" actually terminate "occupant #1" and leave the physical remains? It's been a long time, but I don't remember that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it didn't. But I'm guessing that yours could terminate 2 occupants mistakenly and morph them together. I said I'd do it anyhow - what more do you want?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

I think the closest movie scenario is probably "the 6th day", though it wasn't exactly a transporter. People didn't mind dying as long as they could preserve their "mental state" electronically sometime before their death, and put it in a clone. Kind of a pity the movie sucked so badly.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 AM

You go first.

Come to think of it, I'll walk.