Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM

Default questions on staking

a good and trustworthy friend of mine who i consider to be my equal (poker skills-wise) is short on cash due to unexpected expenses. i am considering staking him but before speaking to him about it would need some advice regarding the specifics.

so, what i need to know is: what is the most common set up for cash game staking? for example: percentage-wise, how much should i demand of the winnings?

i would appreciate it if people avoid posting comments like: "staking is for losers", etc. i am not interested in the normative aspects of staking. strictly pratical advice please.

thank you.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: questions on staking

from experience staking is usually something you do to be nice, not to try and make money. I think 50% of the winnings is about standard, for acquiring all the risk of busto. The deal won't make you a lot, or your friend, so ask him about it and see what he wants to do.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM

go to AJpoker.com and look at their forum. It used to be cool but with all the stake talk, the site went downhill fast. All the whining and complaining of people rolling the staker will leave a bad taste in your mouth and then you will leave the site forever...like I did.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 AM

personally id go for what i like to offer. you take only 30% of winnings, but player you are backing cannot end the agreement till he is at least even with you.

assuming he is a winning player then you cant lose in this situation. only problem is that you only get 30%. but if he is a winning player, he may not accept any less than 70% for himself given the term of not ending when down.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 AM

thanks for the replies.

now im wondering: purely practically, how do u set something like this up at pokerstars? we both have accounts there and it seems ideal since you can transfer money directly from one account to another. everything would be easier with tourneys but when playing cash games?? how can we keep records? when playing tourneys you get sent an email with results. but cash games?