Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Is variance too great and my BR too small to play this tourney?

Played in a live $25 last night and cashed in 8th for 40 (woohoo) out of about 85. I got my money in while I had the best hand everytime except once.

The quality of players was horrible; min-bet taking down raised pots, blind stealing super-easy, Villains pushing J8o with ~9 BB after raise from UTG, eventually got called down to the river with Jack High when I held trip 4's.

My question is, they're having another tournament tonight for 50 bucks. I have like 60 bucks in cash and I wouldn't be terribly upset losing it but I obviously don't want to lose.
Is variance too great to take another stab at this tournament? As I described above, the skill level of my opponents rivaled that of a Stars freeroll in terms of sheer futility.

Is my skill advantage enough to overcome the variance and bad beats along with my essentially non-existent BR?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Is variance too great and my BR too small to play this tourney?

[ QUOTE ]

Is my skill advantage enough to overcome the variance and bad beats along with my essentially non-existent BR?

[/ QUOTE ]

To put it concisely, no.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM

your bankroll isn't worth protecting. Play the tournament.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your bankroll isn't worth protecting. Play the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya the above should be your standard response, unless you honestly cant afford to lose $50 (hard to believe, but I have seen gamblers in far worse spots) The idea here is that a smaller BR can be gambled with more (especially considering the field you are going to play against) because it can be rebuild/remade easily...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

To be fair, this isn't really a BANKROLL per se, more of just "buy gas, buy food, [censored] around" money. I just wanted to know what people's opinions were on putting money into a tourney where variance is so high but the skill edge is pretty good.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM

I thought you just wanted to know if you should play this tourney, skill is obviously a factor, but with a legitimate BR it isnt going to call for playing any 1 event for 5/6 of your BR...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Play a week or 2 of online recently enough. I got a free 5 dollars of a site. Start on small stts. Build your bankroll up gradually. I only started playing playing 50cent sngs and worked my way up the limits gradually. My bankroll is over 400 dollars now, not a lot for most people who post here but Its still rising.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play a week or 2 of online recently enough. I got a free 5 dollars of a site. Start on small stts. Build your bankroll up gradually. I only started playing playing 50cent sngs and worked my way up the limits gradually. My bankroll is over 400 dollars now, not a lot for most people who post here but Its still rising.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off WACK question. Obv play!!!! if people are that weak its always worth the chance esp because 50 bucks is pennies in the long run.

As for the last responce goto BBV if u want to brag about making $400 in 1237634089 hours of work.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the last responce goto BBV if u want to brag about making $400 in 1237634089 hours of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he was bragging, just responding to the question.

As for the tourny. It sounds like you have a big advantage over most of the field so unless losing the money is going to cripple you I would definately play.

Kindeys sell quite well on e bay if you're desparate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 PM

The real question you need to ask yourself is "do I want to be a poker player?" If risking $50 makes you uneasy, you aren't. You should be worrying about other things like a job. Its fine to play poker recreationally for fun, and you can make money playing every once in a while but I dont think your trying to turn this $50 into a pro career, and if you are, play the tourney because it sounds like your best chance to get the big win you'll need to start up your bankroll.