Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Default NL100 - KK

I have a TAG image. I've been taking down most flops with my CB's. Only have 20 hands on villian, he has not done anything special. He's 16/10/3.

I know I played this hand all wrong. I'm guessing the biggest mistake was not raising the flop.

Full Tilt Poker
$0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
CO: $98.50
BTN: $86.05
SB: $192.85
BB: $116.85
UTG: $49.45
Hero (MP): $103.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K ($1.5, 6 players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, CO folds, BTN folds, SB folds, BB calls $2.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 3 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($7.5, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 3 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [8] ($19.5, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $50</font>, BB calls $30

<font color="black">River:</font> 3 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [J] ($119.5, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets all in for $58.35</font>, Hero calls all in for $44
Uncalled bet of $14.35 returned to BB
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: NL100 - KK

I'm not a pro at this or anything, but I think the raise on the turn would only get bluffs and worst hands to fold. I would continue to call down, and value bet the river if checked to. I think the flop call is fine, he's betting the hand for you, I would just let him keep going.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a pro at this or anything, but I think the raise on the turn would only get bluffs and worst hands to fold. I would continue to call down, and value bet the river if checked to. I think the flop call is fine, he's betting the hand for you, I would just let him keep going.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOu're not raising the turn here to get him to fold. You're raising for value.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 AM

btw, I'd raise the flop here because the board is co-ordinated and a lot of cards here can kill your action (any broadway card, or straight card assuming the guy has a PP higher than a 5)
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM

he has a set here very often. I dont raise the turn and may fold the river depending on the bet/my feel.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM

Is there even any value in raising the turn as an 8 is within his range for him to make a set on the turn if he doesn't already have one on the flop.

What would be a realistic range for this opponent here on? I think we can rule out JJ-AA as he would have repopped. So I think on the flop, we're ahead of 55-TT.

After the turn, I don't think he's going to bet out again with 55-77 so we are ahead of 99+TT and behind 22,33,44,88. Does this sound reasonable? And if it is, this means we can't raise the turn right?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 AM

this hand isn't worth discussing without having raised the flop raise 3-4x and reevaluating because the board is determining whether we're playing for value or pushing villain off draws.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 PM

First, it seems unlikely villain would bet this flop if he had a set, doesn't it? Hero admits to winning many pots without showdown with his c-bets, so unless villain is a moron, wouldn't he check to the c-bet, then call if hero raises? That seems like a line more consistent with a set (or even a straight if villain had 5-6s or A-5).

So a PP higher than 44 makes sense, but probably lower than QQ or JJ, as a reraise preflop would have happened then. An OESD also makes sense if villain has a 5. Would villain defend his blinds with 23s or 34s? Those hands are less likely but possible.

The 8 on the turn might have hit villain, but would villain bet the pot if he just made top set? Again, seems like a strange play, so I'd seem less inclined to put him on a set of eights. A lot of this depends on whether or not villain thinks you're weak because you only called his flop bet. He might be betting big on the turn to get you to fold AK or AQ.

All in all, calling the flop bet seems like it's gotten us into a mess, because we really have little information about villain's range. His turn bet could be to chase away AK and AQ or it could be to protect a weak two pair. It seems like a flop raise would tell us right away where he's at. Of course, I hate to chase away weaker hands with a raise. However, in my experience, someone playing 66 or 77 will lose their stack to a bigger PP when a flop like this comes.

As played on the flop, I'd probably just c/c the turn and then call river or value bet river if villain checks.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM

I don't think it's unlikely villain leads flop with a set here at all. I'd say that bet/3bet with a set against a TAG villain with a very possible overpair is quite standard.

I would:

- Raise flop to 20-25 and fold to a push.
- If called, check behind turn.
- Call reasonable river bet, or value bet if checked to.