Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Default 49ers FA pickups and draft analysis

Any 49ers fan here??

I'm so excited about the next season.

FA signings:
-Nate Clements: What I'm told a cap-friendly deal. He's just 27 and entering his prime. Top notch CB only behind Champ?
-Michael Lewis: Apparently his demotion is not performance-related. Hard hitter will make 49ers secondary at the least respectable
-Aubrayo Franklin: fills in our 3-4 NT gap that we badly needed.
-Ashley Lelie: Signed to a cheap deal but apparently he drops a lot of balls and doesn't run inside. Oh well.

Extensions:
-Walt Harris: Pro-bowler CB that can move to safety later when he loses his speed.

Next step: Sign Joey Porter? Not likely given the number of suitors. We have tons of picks on the first day of draft. Possibilities for first pick are DE Adam Carriker and ILB Patrick Willis. Other areas to address are WR and more defense!!

Discuss please, I need to hear more about the 49ers.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 49ers FA pickups and draft analysis

I wouldn't call Clements the #2 CB in the NFL. Depending on the defensive scheme I would rank him somewhere between 5 and 10. He takes a lot of chances to try and trick QBs into throwing bad passes that he can intercept. It works really well against poor QBs but a lot of good QBs just get a free completion as a result.

/edit and again I want to complain about the idea of starting a thread for each team and then post in the thread anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
/edit and again I want to complain about the idea of starting a thread for each team and then post in the thread anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posting in all the team threads is exactly the reason for your complaint. You want to discuss all the activity. A lot of people don't. They only want to discuss their teams. Both are perfectly reasonable, and both are viable threads that can co-exist I think.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

I keep hearing this stuff about his padded stats against backup NY Jets QBs. Is this true? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Michael Lewis: Apparently his demotion is not performance-related. Hard hitter will make 49ers secondary at the least respectable

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you heard this. From what I understand, his demotion was pretty related to his complete inability to provide adequate coverage against deep passes.

I like the other niner moves, but not this one. Maybe they think their corners will be good enough, but usually you don't want a liability against deep balls as your starting safety if you struggle rushing the passer.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

<----huuuuge 49ers fan. this weekend i watched a few hours of combine coverage. we have like 32480723489027 picks this year. hopefully we can have a solid draft, im very pleased with our signings so far.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Clements talks big, but plays small. His INTs have a large % of Ray Lucas in Miami. Before the second half of last season, Clements was easily in the bottom half of number 1 CBs in the league. He played a good second half of the season and got paid.

His good second half can also be attributed to teams figuring out that McGee can't cover and they focused on beating him instead of Clements. I think that he has a lot to prove because good WRs and QBs have never had a problem beating him all day long.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Damn, all the stuff I hear about Clement is negative. I think Mike Nolan at least knows what he's doing. At least I hope so ...

In Nolan We Trust
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A lot of things that went on in Philadelphia weren't football-related," Lewis said. "That is the nature of the business, but I have something to prove. I want to get back to where my name needs to be, as one of the top safeties in the league – as I feel I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p...0/1010/SPORT01
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<----huuuuge 49ers fan. this weekend i watched a few hours of combine coverage. we have like 32480723489027 picks this year. hopefully we can have a solid draft, im very pleased with our signings so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they say anything about the 9ers?