Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Default How many stocks can you handle?

I'm going to be getting into the market with the next couple months. I don't really have any experience, but I've been messing around on some play money sites, fool.com's CAPs and stuff.

So, how many stocks is typical for someone who is not a professional to actively manage? I will not be active day trading or swing trading. When investing long term, how much "homework" per week or month is required for each stock that one owns?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: How many stocks can you handle?

It depends on your system and how much time you have. I'm more of a value investor and use numerous sources to find, track and update information. I have designed various forms and a filing system which, along with my sources, gives me the confidence to track 6 to 18 stocks which takes an average of 10 hours weekly. But this is after i have spent more than a decade developing this particular "system".

BTW, I have lucked out the last few years and have averaged 40% for all my accounts and am still up more than 10% for 2007 despite last week's correction and despite my large cash position.

My current holdings include:
NBG, National Bank of Greece;
GLW, Corning
AAPL, Apple
BAC, Bank of America (4.5% div)
LUV, Southwest Air
SBUX, Starbucks
WDC, Western Digital

As long as the markets maintain or go up at least 5% during the next year (i guess 80% chance as of today), I expect the price of these stocks to increase 10% to 20%+.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 AM

You dont need any more than 5...you shouldnt have more than ten..anywhere in between is fine. Plan on spending at least an hour a week per holding doing homework on the stock. Any more than ten stocks you become like your own mutual fund...you dont want that.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 AM

and i highly recommend subscribing to morningstar or investors business daily..or both..i do...and its worth every penny
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on your system and how much time you have. I'm more of a value investor and use numerous sources to find, track and update information. I have designed various forms and a filing system which, along with my sources, gives me the confidence to track 6 to 18 stocks which takes an average of 10 hours weekly. But this is after i have spent more than a decade developing this particular "system".

BTW, I have lucked out the last few years and have averaged 40% for all my accounts and am still up more than 10% for 2007 despite last week's correction and despite my large cash position.

My current holdings include:
NBG, National Bank of Greece;
GLW, Corning
AAPL, Apple
BAC, Bank of America (4.5% div)
LUV, Southwest Air
SBUX, Starbucks
WDC, Western Digital

As long as the markets maintain or go up at least 5% during the next year (i guess 80% chance as of today), I expect the price of these stocks to increase 10% to 20%+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your picks. I have been looking into buying some BOA and southwest air. Tell me a little about the reasons you picked the stocks you did. Could make for interesting discussion.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:52 PM

I have 8 holdings... I doubt I could keep up with more than 10.