Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM

Default FAQ me. (suggestions please)

For a while now uNL has been served by a FAQ that's named "MicroNL Temporary FAQ"

It needs an update and this is where you guys come in.

I plan on updating the FAQ over the next week or so, so I'm looking for suggestions of answers it doesn't already contain that you think need to be in it.

You can read the present FAQ here .

Whats missing - and what basic questions does it need to answer?

FAQ suggestion thread is now open - and will remain open for several days.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: FAQ me. (suggestions please)

There's something about min-raising pre-flop in there that could use some expansion since it comes up every now and then:

I always read that a pre-flop raise should be 4BB+1BB for every limper. Where does this rule come from? Why can't I just push the raise button?

When you raise pre-flop you don't want to give your opponents good odds to call you. 4BB+1 is a good compromise that makes it a mistake for many holdings to call while at the same time doesn't put too much of your money at risk should you run into a better hand.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM

The "slang and abbreviations" section needs an upgrade/broadening. There are loads of words/slang/abbs that I see used very often here which are not in the FAQ (I know because being pretty new to the forum I need to look for explainations of poker-specific language every now and then).

Eg. things like "float", IP, OOP, UI, FPT, FWIW (not only poker-specific, but also generally forums-specific, but still) and other.

Thanks for the initiative.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 PM

"OH GOD WHY DO I RUN SO BAD I HATE POKER HOW DO YOU WIN AT POKER UGH IM NEVER GOING TO HAVE A BR OF MORE THAN $X AHH I HATE LIFE" type things need to be addressed imo.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 PM

common questions that should be answered/ppl told not to ask.

Here's some examples of non-great threads:

Is x site better than y site for playing poker? (honestly most of them are pretty similar expect pokerroom, which is basically like playing live poker. Their software is [censored] annoying though.)

TAG versus LAG style, which should I learn? (fundamentally bad, you should learn TAG first obv.)

A lot of non-hand based threads by new posters usually suck. So as a general rule new posters should probably try them out in the microbrew before making them their own topic. A lot of the time their just asking generic stuff thats too obvious to deserve a big discussion for regular players....

One question I've seen a lot:
Whats the difference between 10NL and 25NL, or 5NL and 10NL. 25NL and 50NL has probably been asked, but I don't seem to be a winner at 50NL yet (probably tilt/play like crazy lag reasons).

I posted a long explanation if you want it, you could also just search my name, shouldn't be hard to find (its old though, I reposted links a little while ago)...Should probably add something about the diff between 25NL and 50NL. Fimbul does cover that tho (def. does a better job than me, but his post is kinda outdated...).

Put something in there about raising/betting for information. Or seeing where your at, whatever. Also something about waiting for the turn to raise (this is a limit concept).

Bankroll came up recently. Obviously 20 buy ins is the answer. edit: OK I saw its in there, cool. I read the FAQ again lol...

add float to abbreviations. Seems like not a ton of ppl know what that means.

Another is how should I move from limit x to limit y. I think the answer is slowly add tables of limit y till your playing limit y exclusively. Start adding the tables one by one once you hit 20 buy ins for that level (slightly more if you like to play it safe). Normally what happens is your lower tables pay for your higher while you adjust. Also, the lower tables your usually doing the same stuff as normal, so it prevents the "oh my god I have to do stuff totally diff. at this level" attitude.....

also answer the question "How do I get to the archives?". I want to know the answer.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM

perhaps the threads - not sure if they're already in there, but i re-read these at least once a month.

How to use the search engine:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...SID=&fpart=

How to take notes:

How to use PT:
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 AM

How about something for protocol when you recognize a fellow 2+2 on the tables? People should recognize the "sup bro" greeting and shouldn't ask or state: "You 2+2?" or something else that advertises the site. This has happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks and I've barely been playing.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about something for protocol when you recognize a fellow 2+2 on the tables? People should recognize the "sup bro" greeting and shouldn't ask or state: "You 2+2?" or something else that advertises the site. This has happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks and I've barely been playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 AM

1. The PTBB/100 vs BB/100 question.

2. Where to post NC/LC thread in MicroBrew and stats questions too.

3. May be something about it's good etiquette to reply to a hand post or two before posting your own? This ensures threads get a decent no. replies e.t.c

If anyone wants to give me specific topics I should be able to dig up some relevant links to threads (as long as there not on archiveserver, Inoticed Skeme/AJ SSNL'S FAQ is now there I believe).
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM

I've posted something similar in the feb Microbrew thread, but I think it's also useful for the FAQ. Feel free to correct anything.

How to upload a picture of your graph

1. Right-click on your Poker Grapher / Poker Patterns graph:

2. Click "Save image"
3. Save in PNG or GIF format.
4. Upload to a webhost. (Imageshack, xs.to or your providers webspace)
5. Copy the forum thumbnail link:

and paste it. You can also use the direct link if your image isn't too large (less than 600 px, don't break the thread):

[img]direct link here[/img]

If you're using your providers webspace:
[img]link to image here[/img]