Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 06:31 AM

Default 1 hand from the wynn 3k event today

about 20 minutes into the first level, blinds 25/50. starting stacks 6k, 60 minute levels.

villain sat down next to me and I looked at the name on his registration card and it sounded really familiar, but I wasn't sure who he was. I forget the name now so I'll just have to leave it at that. probably a little older than me, maybe 26-27 years old, wearing a University of Florida shirt and hat. Early on he limped behind two ep limpers in the CO with T8cc. The button raised small, the BB and both limpers call, and he calls. Board is checked through to the river where he bets his made flush and gets a call, so he's around 7k. He seems like one of the better players at the table and is probably thinking on multiple levels.

I've been fairly active early, opening when folded to me in LP but I haven't shown anything down yet. I have 6400.

folds to me in the SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I call. he checks almost immediately.

flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot 100)

I toss in 4 25 chips after a second or two and he quickly calls

turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot 300)

I check, he bets 150 after 5-10 seconds and I quickly call

river 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot 600)

I sit there for 15-20 seconds and toss in 1 500 chip. He takes a moment to grab two 500 chips and two 100 chips and tosses them in, raising to 1200. Pot is now 2300, 700 more for me to call.

I quickly call.

thoughts?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: 1 hand from the wynn 3k event today

i think every street is fine

his range on the river is pretty huge considering two different draws missed, not to mention the fact that you may be wrong about his level of thinking and is doing this small raise with KX because "maybe he has QJ yo"

river bet doesnt need to be quite so large, make it like 4, but other than that, totally standard
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 AM

evg,

is his range really that huge here? I see him doing this with different kings, but not really with much else (besides the case 2 of course).

I would probably bet a bit smaller on the river as well, I think 500 is a bit much for a value bet. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to call his raise.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 AM

c/c river or b/f river.

i prefer c/c.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 AM

check call river you dont have a big hand u cant stand a rearaise
Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Why did you check turn? I think after check calling turn, river is a check call too. I think 500 is a bit on the large side for a value bet too. The river is a call although it is such a sucker value bet it hurts and i exepct to see a 2 almost every time.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check call river you dont have a big hand u cant stand a rearaise

[/ QUOTE ]

try to think about this hand a little deeper than this

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check turn? I think after check calling turn, river is a check call too. I think 500 is a bit on the large side for a value bet too. The river is a call although it is such a sucker value bet it hurts and i exepct to see a 2 almost every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I'm retarded for this, but I threw out the 500 chip in hopes that he'd put me on a missed draw bluffing the river and would re-bluff me with a hand that floated the flop. I felt like he was floating the flop a huge % of the time. Something I like to do in the first level or two of MTTs is float from the BB in the first blind battle I play with the SB to see how he'll react so I have a read for when the blinds are much higher later in the tournament when it's going to be a lot more risky to do.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM

I think you misplayed. Raise pre.. bet turn... c/c river.'

Preflop should be an obvious raise.

Turn is a bet because this is blind vs. blind and nobody raised preflop, so he's liable to call down pretty light and probably check back with lots of hands that would call a bet, trying to induce a bluff on the river.

Check river because he's often got a draw and he'll bet it.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop should be an obvious raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:21 AM

I like your line and I think your reasoning is spot on.

I like betting to induce a rebluff here too. We know he doesn't have a hand that beats us unless he spiked a deuce but his range going into the river is a bunch of draws, kings that chop, and complete air. It would make sense for him to raise with all of these hands so I think that it is definitely +cEV to induce a bluff from him.

In addition, I also do not like preflop raise at all this deep. The blinds are not worth stealing, you don't want to be known as a blind stealer at this level, why inflate the pot OOP? You have a good hand to see a flop with, see the flop.