Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Just saw The Last Temptation of Christ

After Scorsese won the oscar, I wanted to get a better knowledge of his canon (not that oscars mean that much, but it got me hyped I guess). After seeing TLTC, I think I just witnessed his masterpiece - and yes, I've seen Taxi Driver.

No matter what a person's religious background may be, this movie should touch them as long as they know some new testament history. (btw I'm an atheist but was raised christian). Willem Dafoe makes a far more realistic Jesus than Jim Caviezel, if you ask me. That may of course have a lot to do with the screenplay (based of a novel by kazantzakis). This is a powerful movie, with a powerful performance by Dafoe. The score is fantastic too.

It's a shame our country wasn't ready for it (though France was really not ready for it). I'm afraid if it were released today, the atmosphere wouldn't be any different. Scorsese, who is a Catholic, needed bodyguards for a year following the release.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Just saw The Last Temptation of Christ

I liked this movie a lot too, and it definitely was a good score.

The condemnation of it was very intense when it released, reminding me of the problems Life of Brain and Dogma had, and The People vs. Larry Flynt. It led to the movie winding up, I think, somewhat shunned and definitely underrated. I'm glad, at least, that movies like this can even get made, though they may not make money and it can be a real hardship on everyone involved.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 AM

I honestly think that, in fifty years, Scorsese will be considered by far the greatest filmmaker of his generation and venerated with John Ford as one of the two greatest American filmmakers of any generation.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that, in fifty years, Scorsese will be considered by far the greatest filmmaker of his generation and venerated with spielberg as one of the two greatest American filmmakers of any generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, really need to watch last temptation. remember that when it came out my very strict religious family thought the world was coming to an end. drove by a theatre and there was this lineup for it and i was pretty scared, lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's a shame our country wasn't ready for it (though France was really not ready for it). I'm afraid if it were released today, the atmosphere wouldn't be any different. Scorsese, who is a Catholic, needed bodyguards for a year following the release.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too soon?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:29 AM

Yah, I just don't see it. I read and liked the book before seeingthe film, but that really didn't have much bearing on what I thought of the film. Stylistically they are apples and oranges.

To me it's just Jesus wanders around and does stuff. It just seems flat and a little boring to me, and robably his worst film.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 AM

I've always thought it strange that you disliked this film so much, but I think I recall your having religious objections to it, so that taints things a good bit.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought it strange that you disliked this film so much, but I think I recall your having religious objections to it, so that taints things a good bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm an atheist (or more appropriately apatheist. Whether death brings heaven, hell, haunting houses or oblivion, I'm fine).

I think I need to watch it again sometime I think. There's every possibility I came to it expecting something else maybe, and just didn't give it a decent chance. I remember thinking how it just couldn't be a Scorcese film, it was so bland to me.

Using Occam's Razor, I'm probably wrong about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 AM

It's just sad that a book as open to interpretation as the bible can be taken so literally by so many. I mean, it is a great book whether you believe in it or not. And part of the allure of Jesus - and the reason he gained such acceptance - is his common bond with every man. He suffers like a man, he has urges like man, he sins like man. This may be blasphemy but how can we imagine a MAN who does not sin even in thought; to call him sinless in this respect is to strip him of his humanity, unarguably an essential aspect of him.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:27 PM

Agreed that his humanity is what makes him so appealing. It's what gives its ultimate sacrifice virtually all of its power, and what makes his choices when crafting his new religion a great deal of their power. If God gave his only begotten son an inhuman perfection, getting nailed to the cross would be just another ho-hum day at work. Turning the other cheek would be no big deal at all. And frankly, he COULD have been the one without sin who was first to cast a stone, no biggy. Mighta been a larf. As it was, he didn't even get a local to help with the pain, and he preached and made his proclamations not just as a distant, isolated god but as a man having to overcome the same tribulations as all men do. So exploring his humanity is very much exploring the essence of what made him a great figure, not denying it. Take that away, and he's much more some kind of weird holy vapor going around scolding everyone without ever having any real stake in the game himself.

If a poker metaphor can be forgiven, it's playing for real money that makes the game.

DB, I think you should give the flick another chance. It's far from bland. Heck, it has Willem Dafoe as Christ! I could watch him boiling eggs and it would be pretty compelling.