Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Flopped boat, counterfeited on turn?

Villain (MP2) had just sat down, so no reads. The way the hand played out, I had a strong feeling he had a higher pocket pair. Was this a tight fold or a good laydown? (BTW, I elected not to 3-bet the flop hoping for at least one overcall. I was surprised by MP1's fold.)

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Flopped boat, counterfeited on turn?

Seems reasonable. You have to figure that someone has at least a pair of fives now. You are drawing to one out, and your one outer, might not even be good.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM

That's why you are the man. Nice laydown. It's hard to see MP2 raising that board without a pair or a flush draw. If I don't know MP2 I may call down just to find out some more info. What was you read of MP2 after more hands with him?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:57 PM

This is another one of those cases where I believe it is more correct to play straighforward. You might be up against a flush draw that is drawing dead but is going to call you down anyway, and almost any pocket pair or ten is going to call or raise. You need to make these guys pay for their draws, as it is unlikely that you're going to get paid off any other way. You have an outstanding opportunity here to see a capped pot with 2 or 3 way action, and I think you passed up a lot of pot equity by playing your monster too passively.

The turn is just a bad card, IMHO. Good fold. The only thing you can beat at this point is a bluff, but I'm agreeing with you that MP2 is value betting with a big pair.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:58 PM

20/6.7/1.2 after 30 hands total. Saw only 1 hand (Kx suited from the blind, won a big pot with a flush). He left right after that win.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM

I play it the same - nh. I like going for the overcall on the flop and the checkraise on the turn. Villain hit a 4 outer on you and you got away from the hand cheap. Nice laydown.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Good line, nice laydown.