Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Weather Extremes Mean Global Warming

I live in a little town in West Texas. Our dust storms aren't that bad, only a few days a year. However, for the last two years we have had extreme days of zero visibility. There have been car pileups and fatalities. Eighteen-wheelers were blown over by the angry winds. This never happened before.

Look at these recent tornados, floods, and hurricanes. I firmly believe these are caused by global warming and it will get worse each year. Am I right??? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Weather Extremes Mean Global Warming

I don't know what it has to do with politics though.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:39 PM

It has to do with politics because, first the government has to acknowlege that global warming exists before they can do something about it.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM

They have acknowledged to a large degree that global warming exists--but as is the case with government, the devil is in the details on what to do about it
Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I live in a little town in West Texas. Our dust storms aren't that bad, only a few days a year. However, for the last two years we have had extreme days of zero visibility. There have been car pileups and fatalities. Eighteen-wheelers were blown over by the angry winds. This never happened before.

Look at these recent tornados, floods, and hurricanes. I firmly believe these are caused by global warming and it will get worse each year. Am I right??? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, this is based on your 20 some odd years of personal recollections?

The answer to your question is: No.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Too Soon for Another Global Warming Cult Post

It is too soon for another Man-Causes-Global-Warming Cult post. We just had one the previous week or two.

Wait another couple of months and repost. Then I can have the pleasure of mocking the faux-scientists that claim that man has power over nature. I can then mocked the nitwits that claim that "science" shows that man-made greenhouse gases are heating the earth. I see today in the news a "prominent French scientist" has reverse himself and now declares himself a global warming skeptic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

See you in two months....
Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM

I saw a stat the other day - most Feburaries the last 4 yrs have been 10-20 tornados -

this year it was 70+ -

naysayers blame El Nino -

This week Jerry Falwell called it a tool of the antichrist to believe in Global Warming, and Dobson bitched to the National Association of Evangelicals that they put too much effort into it and not enough in keeping kids from having sex and abortions. I figure they're trying to save their voting block that Conservative love and come to them for -

Jim Wallis has a great response here about it -

In other words, evangelicals are defecting the Right Wing voting block due to their personal concern about Global warming and Dobson/Falwell are trying to scare everyone back into it -

Ya know, I'm gonna actually enjoy watching the Republican primary process more then the Democratic one this year - more entertaining drama on their side - LOL
rb
Old 03-05-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a stat the other day - most Feburaries the last 4 yrs have been 10-20 tornados -

this year it was 70+ -

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pulling some random data...

From 1950 - 1955 the average number of tornadoes during the month of May was 95.6. In 1956 there were 228!!!

OMFG!!!!! Global Warming!!! El Nino!!!! The world is ending!!!

It's called variance.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this year it was 70+ -

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pulling some random data...

From 1950 - 1955 the average number of tornadoes during the month of May was 95.6. In 1956 there were 228!!!

OMFG!!!!! Global Warming!!! El Nino!!!! The world is ending!!!

It's called variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feburary, not May - May has Variance - Feburary doesn't usually ever get tornado activity like we've seen - what do your stats say for Feburary?

but hey - thanks for comparing apples and oranges - May 1956 with Feburary 2007 - LOL - OMG the number has gone done - global cooling is working!!!

except it's not working so well in Switzerland - better go skiing now

rb
Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Feburary, not May -

a little less Variance in weather patters for tornados during that time frame, rock star -

but hey - thanks for comparing apples and oranges -

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a slow adult or something. Seriously. That fact that you think that was an apples to oranges comparison makes me think you have a comprehension problem. You see I was taking a 6 year period of tornado data and then using the average to compare to a large year right after it. Jut like you did in your post. The month is not relevant, because you can do it with any month. It's still called variance.

Just to humor you though..

From 1966-1970 the average number or tornadoes in February was 12.8. In 1971 there were 83!!!!

OMFG!!! Global Warming!!! (Except back then the theory du jour was that we were going to enter a new ice age. How'd that work out?)