Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 AM

Default low stakes Stud 8 hand looking for comments

Did I play this hand correctly? This is a typical lowstakes game lots of donators and some guys that have to be stark raving mad. What hands do you put my opponents on? I am fairly new at stud 8 with most of my experience being in HORSE games.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

I thought that I had a pretty strong holding here and thought to go for a checkraise. I thought that it would be the best way to get more money into the pot at an advantage
4th Street - (21.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

Thought that betting here was best as a have a pretty good draw
5th Street - (18.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Jam it here right?
6th Street - (22.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls

Bet again. What do I do if raised I am think raise for all its worth. Or is this wrong

River - (34.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (38.30 BB)
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: low stakes Stud 8 hand looking for comments

Umm, yeah, you played this fine. On sixth, you have a board lock for low and it's pretty likely that you have the best high. Definitely raise.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM

it is really good to jam 5th? only 5 hearts left in the deck. although the 7h and 2h are still live, and you have two more 2s and 3 7s.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM

I just ran the hand through 2dimes I even though I bricked on 5th I am still a favorite over my opponents.

What hands do you put my opponents on. This is somewhat of a bad beat post, as I lost the hand both ways. I dont see how I could have played it much differently, but I do have a problem being to results oriented. So when I lose a hand I tend to beat myself up too much. I will post the hand with results and hole cards exposed in a little while
Old 03-03-2007, 05:04 PM

The fact that you lost in both directions and nobody raised the river shows how hard it can be to read hands against these types of players. Although you lost, I guess you were lucky not to lose more.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM

He didn't jam fifth. He bet and got called. Even with a few of his cards out, he's got to be a money favorite.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hands do you put my opponents on. This is somewhat of a bad beat post, as I lost the hand both ways. I dont see how I could have played it much differently, but I do have a problem being to results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just learning this game at the moment too, and find it really hard to work out the logic (or lack of) that some people use at these low limits. Until you said it was a bad beat tale, I presumed you'd won both sides, and would've played it pretty much the same, apart from maybe not raising on 5th.

In a feeble attempt to guess what the other guys had:

I wouldn't want to call the capped 3rd street bet with just a pair queens, so guessing Seat 4 either had trips, or a pair of aces in the hole. He might have made a full house by the river, but I don't understand why he wouldn't bet it if he had. Unless the hand was really hearts-heavy and he had 2 in the hole, but was scared to push a queen high flush too hard?

As for the low side, I'm guessing Seat 1 had a 7-5 or something?

Sick hand, and interested to see how it turned out, but (from my noob perspective) wouldn't beat yourself up over it too badly...
Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Ok, here is the hand unveiled. I ran it through two dimes and found that I was the favorite on every street but 7th. As you can see seat 4 did get involved in a capped pot on 3rd with just queens. Yes I do love him and look for him regularly. He says that pokerstars suits his style of play because he likes to suckout. That is a direct quote.

As you can see even if I could have seen their hole cards I would have played this hand the same.

One of my big weaknesses is that I am to results oriented. Looking at this hand I see that there is nothing that I could have done differently. The truth is that I just go very unlucky here. I just hate saying that becauese that is what you hear fish saying all the time.

Also there is a glitch in the converter. It shows that two seven of clubs fell. When you look at it in the history and the results you see that seat 5 actually caught and 8 to make 2 pair on the river.

Analysis of the villians play would be interesting as well.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05 (converter)

Seat 1: $23.95
Seat 2: $1.05
Hero: $12.85
Seat 4: $6.60
Seat 5: $9.35
Seat 6: $6.95
Seat 7: $9.45
Seat 8: $14.95

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Vil 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Vil 4: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Vil 5: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (21.60 SB)

Vil 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Vil 4: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Vil 5: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (18.30 BB)

Vil 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Vil 4: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Vil 5: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (22.30 BB)

Vil 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Vil 4: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Vil 5: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls

River - (34.30 BB)

Vil 1: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Vil 4: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Vil 5: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (38.30 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $19.15 | Rake $0.40

Vil 1: [6d 3d Ah 4c Kd 9d 7c] (HI: high card Ace; LO: 7,6,4,3,A)

Hero: [5h 3h 6h 4h Qc 7d 8s] (HI: a straight, Four to Eight; LO: 7,6,5,4,3)

Vil 4: [Kh Qd Qh 9h Jc 5s Tc] (HI: a straight, Nine to King)

Vil 5: [2s 7s 5c Jh 8d Js 8c]

</font>
Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't jam fifth. He bet and got called. Even with a few of his cards out, he's got to be a money favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he meant fourth. but i think we have to jam here (fourth) with this monster. we have more than our fair share of equity. but does everyone like hero's initial call instead of raising? i don't think a raise will drive anybody out at these stakes with the pot so big. plus when hero just calls, there's a good chance everybody will just call behind him.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 AM

You missed quite a few bets early. The way the hand developed, you should be jamming from 3rd and never let up. Get in as many bets as humanly possible.