Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 02:52 AM

Default $33 turbo, TPTK facing a near all-in

Villain has been pretty tight and straightforward.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1430)
Hero (t1570)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t180</font>, Hero calls t90.

Flop: (t360) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t960) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t630</font>, Hero ...?

Why didn't he just push the turn? I think he wants to pot commit me.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: $33 turbo, TPTK facing a near all-in

Well, this hand must be rather boring. Anyway I folded - it smelt too much like an overpair - anyone disagree?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 PM

$33 -- he min-raises you preflop? That might mean overpair. But, at the same time, why did he bet 300 into the 360 pot on the flop. Ideally, he wants you to make a big mistake. So, unless you hit that jack, his t300 is a poor choice.

That being said, you might be up against a A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. In fact, given his flop bet, I'd bet thats the case.

That, or he has AA (unlikely since you have ace), KK/QQ are possible and still leaves you suckout room on the river.

I push simply because his betting indicates something other than an overpair
Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM

I think I would have called if he had pushed rather than making that weird size turn bet, which looks like he wants a call. How do you interpret a bet like that?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you interpret a bet like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who wants to appear very strong? If he's a decent player, and knows you're a decent player, he might make a bet like this to get you to fold, bc "everyone" knows that an all-in looks weaker than a huge, pot size bet.

I would have raised the flop. If he reraised me there, I don't know what I'd do. Probably push. Do you think your opponent could 3-bet KJ preflop?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think your opponent could 3-bet KJ preflop?

[/ QUOTE ] Nope, this is the first time he has 3 bet pre-flop which had the alarm bells ringing. He hadn't made any big bets up to this point. I have played a guy (top ranked on stars) who appeared uber tight at first folding everything in sight and then making a monster bluff in a critical spot (called it - yesss). I just don't think this guy is very creative and my read on him at this stage is that he's verging on weak-tight.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM

This is sooo opponent dependent. It looks like this is pretty early in the game and you don't have much of a read yet. Has he 3-bet you preflop yet at all? If so, how did postflop go? What kind of concepts has villain show an understanding or misunderstanding of so far?

The flop doesn't look to likely to have helped anyone, and the turn card just makes it better. So if I'm villain, I'm firing a 2nd barrel fairly often on the turn. If you raise the flop, you have a lot more information on where you stand - but really, I don't have much of a problem getting it all in on the flop or the turn.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I'm villain, I'm firing a 2nd barrel fairly often on the turn. If you raise the flop, you have a lot more information on where you stand - but really, I don't have much of a problem getting it all in on the flop or the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way if he has AKh, AQh, AA, KK, QQ, JJ you're getting all in. You cant raise for information then fold if he pushes here, since you're ahead of the flush draws. Maybe he does this with TT/99, but, that'll be rare.

If the flop was rainbow, I'd be more hesitant.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Tight donk has an overpair. These guys are so scared they bet overpairs very hard. Flop texture doesnt matter.