Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Default I couldn\'t find the LOL donkament forum, so I\'ll post this hand here

Someone who wishes to remain anonymous told me this hand belongs in the HSNL forum, so who am I to disagree?

Wynn $2k NL Tourney: 25/50 starting blinds, 5k starting chips, 1 hour levels

I show up 30 minutes late, and Villain already has a ton of chips. He seems to be playing fairly TAG / ABC preflop. Villain is around 24 years old, and seems like an internet player, although not a high stakes one. I don’t think he had all that much live experience, but he was confident enough that he must have had a little. He played two significant pots after I got there.

On one, he flopped a big hand and played it in an aggressive / straightforward manner and knocked someone else out that also had a slightly worse big hand. The hand was very standard.

In another, he raised preflop and got one caller. The flop was ragged, and he fired a bet. Caller called. Turn rag. Another bet, another call. River queen. He bet again. The caller muttered something like, “You hit that queen, didn’t you?” and folded. Villain showed K7o for no pair no draw. I’m not if his opponent was really worried about the queen, or was just trying to save face.

Despite that 3 barrel, overall he seemed tight abc / TAG and didn’t play many pots.

I was playing fairly loose for the first 90 minutes I was there, and was down to 2900 at the first break. Over the next hour, I got aces twice, kings once, queens twice. I think I showed two of them down, but I had played a lot of big pots. I wasn’t opening much, but I was 3 betting a bunch and playing big pots after the flop. I never once showed down a weak hand or got caught bluffing. I won basically every pot I entered and was up to around 21k when the following hand came up:

100/200 blinds, 25 ante 9 handed.

UTG folds. I make it 550 UTG+1 w/ JJ. UTG+2 folds. Villain is UTG+3 and he makes it 1650. It folds back to me, and I ask villain to move his hands so I can count his stack. After 5-10 seconds of counting, I estimate he has 16,000 chips left.

Flop: T93 rainbow (3825 in pot)

I check. Villain bets 2100. What do you do?

If you call and don’t plan on checking any turn, say otherwise.

If you say call and check any turn. What do you do on the following turns if he bets 4500?

1) Deuce
2) Queen
3) King

If you say raise the flop, what do you do against a reraise? If he calls, are you done with the hand?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: I couldn\'t find the LOL donkament forum, so I\'ll post this hand here

Uhhh. fold preflop, fold the flop, fold the turn. You beat exactly AK, reraising an UTG+1 raiser with less is pretty retarded

This is pretty basic and does not belong here, but then again, nor do I
Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: I couldn\'t find the LOL donkament forum, so I\'ll post this hand he

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop... is pretty retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

ZJ, did you see him 3bet before? How he acted in any previous 3bet pot is very important.

There are many players who have never heard of 3betting 87s, floating, or bluff-raising rivers. If you've seen him do any of those things (since people who know about one usually know about all of them), or got some kind of feel for how he played in 3bet pots, that would help a bunch.

Also, how much of his stack was he risking on his 3 barrel?

I would call flop because of the cheap price, and because I'm thinking he won't bet again without you beat that often.

I'd check fold most turns. But first do whatever you seasoned live pros do to discourage a bet from him.

A Q or 8 on turn would be interesting. I think on a Q turn I would lead really small. On an 8 turn, I would check and see what kind of odds I'm getting. I wouldn't c/r I think.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: I couldn\'t find the LOL donkament forum, so I\'ll post this hand here

AAmucked,

Folding preflop for 1100 more when the pot is 2750 and you have JJ and stacks are this deep is awful. Please stop and think about that for a second.

Zee,

Gross spot. Don't know if I am willing to get fancy with this hand considering the flop is just terrible for our hand.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: I couldn\'t find the LOL donkament forum, so I\'ll post this hand he

[ QUOTE ]
ZJ, did you see him 3bet before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I have not seen him 3 bet preflop once yet. There haven't been many at the table at all. More than half were probably from me.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how much of his stack was he risking on his 3 barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM

ZJ,

How often has he reraised preflop?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But first do whatever you seasoned live pros do to discourage a bet from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably lead small any non-K or A. Fold to a raise.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ZJ,

How often has he reraised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first that I have seen. See my last post in this thread.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But first do whatever you seasoned live pros do to discourage a bet from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably lead small any non-K or A. Fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood Jman. He meant check call the flop, but act in a way that will discourage him from betting.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 PM

ZJ,

Sorry, think I replied at the same time as that.

"check call the flop, but act in a way that will discourage him from betting."

Then I agree with this, fold if he bets. It's a little weak but hey.