Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2006, 02:22 AM

Default **The Aristocrats - Move Review**

So El D made a post a while back saying how good this movie should be good.

El D's Post

The south park clip was hilarious, so I had high hopes for the movie.

The Movie: The movie is a documentary of many famous celebs ( see credit list here) and each of them tells their own version of this supposedly famous joke that has been handed down for ages.

The basic premise of the joke is that there is a family goes into a talent agent and tells him that he has an incredible new act that he needs to book asap. So the agent asks him what this act is about. Now is the time for the comedian to improv. The comedian ad libs the funniest act he can come up with. Typically the act involves a family (a mom, dad, two kids, and a dog - or any variation thereof) who do all sorts of ridiculous acts. EFFing each other, jerking off, crapping on each other, puking, peeing, cumming, etc. The idea is to be as outrageous and creative as you can be.

After the description of the act is told the agent is supposed to be in shock. The agent then ask what the act is called and the guy goes "The Aristocrats." Bada bing, bada boom...that's the joke! Ta Da! (This is supposed to be funny as an Aristocratic family would never act this way)

So one would think that this amazing lists of comedians could come up with some pretty funny stuff during the improv section. Unfortunately the joke plays out like much of OOT - There are a lot of people trying really hard to be funny, but very few actually succeed.

There were only a few acts I even kinda laughed at. And note that I was drinking while watching this and laugh at pretty much anything (it is harder to make me not laugh than to have me keep a straight face - especially when drinking).

I had a feeling that once the show started it was going to be a disappointment, but couldn't stop watching at the hope something hilarious would come. This was not the case.

There was a funny version at the beginning (not sure of the guy's name). My pregnant grandma comes onto stage, sits down and aborts a 3lb shetland pony. My grandpa, a jockey, rides the pony, placed third in the derby and paid out at $2.80. (note: the version was probably mostly funny b/c of the guy's delivery, which was awesome).

The south park version was awesome. I'm a huge SP fan though and basically anything coming out of Cartman's mouth is comic gold in my mind. The 9/11 addition was amazing.

Bob Saget had his moments. Sarah Silverman had a couple moments. And Gilbert Godfry was pretty funny, but moreso given the setting. The card trick was creative, as was the Mime. The ventriliquist was kinda funny too.

I'm sure this joke would be great told live when you are not expecting it. However, the complilation just didn't do it for me - at all.

I was really disappointed after having such high hopes. And even if I had gone into this with little or no expectation, it would have been a bust.

Rewatchability: zero (unless desperate, drunk/high (or both), and hopefully unconscious)

Watching for a first time: Just d/l the SP version and maybe Godfry at the Friar's roast of Hugh Hefner and you will get everything that is funny and save yourself about 84 minutes.

So overall this thing was not very good and I don't recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: **The Aristocrats - Move Review**

I liked this movie. Mostly because i was intrigued by all the different improv the joke allows. I actually told this joke at a small gathering over some brews. My version involved greased up midgets parading around with trays full of cocaine, which happen to be laced with laxitive. So the coke snorting family starts [censored] all over the audience after cumming and pissing all over eachother. At the end they all held hands while dancing around in a circle singing kumbaya. The people at the party loved the joke and even laughed at the punchline "The Sophisticates."

Alternate punchlines:
"The Bush Family"
"The Osbornes"

If you happen to tell this joke and it flops, you can always follow it up with a reversal. The family act sits down for tea. The son tells about how he scored perfect on a test in school. The daughter had a good piano recital. The father got a raise and the wife finished her book. The talent agent says, "What do you call it?" The manager says: "The [censored] sucker mother [censored] s."
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 AM

This movie came on to my radar with the El D. mention, and the premise was intriguing to me. I've decided, given your review, to give it a miss. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This movie came on to my radar with the El D. mention, and the premise was intriguing to me. I've decided, given your review, to give it a miss. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise choice, there were about twenty minutes of gold in it, but it just wasn't worth it.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked this movie. Mostly because i was intrigued by all the different improv the joke allows. I actually told this joke at a small gathering over some brews. My version involved greased up midgets parading around with trays full of cocaine, which happen to be laced with laxitive. So the coke snorting family starts [censored] all over the audience after cumming and pissing all over eachother. At the end they all held hands while dancing around in a circle singing kumbaya. The people at the party loved the joke and even laughed at the punchline "The Sophisticates."

Alternate punchlines:
"The Bush Family"
"The Osbornes"

If you happen to tell this joke and it flops, you can always follow it up with a reversal. The family act sits down for tea. The son tells about how he scored perfect on a test in school. The daughter had a good piano recital. The father got a raise and the wife finished her book. The talent agent says, "What do you call it?" The manager says: "The [censored] sucker mother [censored] s."

[/ QUOTE ]

The concept is definitely intriguing and I bet the joke is pretty funny live (as I said in my review). However, the movie just didn't deliver. I think the alterations can be great as well. Funny joke on its own, with lots of potential...however a flop of a movie.

I would much rather here about some live trip reports of the joke or see what some OOTiots can come up with their own verion (only problem with this is that I think delivery is crucial in this joke).
Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 AM

I own this movie and I think it's worth a rental if nothing else. The beauty of this film is imagining people who don't get it or are easily shocked watching it. The joke is so over the top disgusting that after a short time anyone watching stops being disgusted and starts becoming interested in where they're going to go with it. The joke itself if actually funny and it's not meant to be. In this case the journey through distatseful and out the other side is the joke and any reaction is to the delivery. It is the singer not the song. Also this is one of the only DVDs where the directors commentry is just as important to watch as the film without it you don't get the whole story or the strength of feeling that the directors put into this joke.

So, in my opinion a good movie but not one to watch when you're drunk or looking for a riotous laugh. It has some funny moments but the idea is more to make you think about what you find offensive, about freedom of speech about the nature of comedy and about how as in everything in life it's all about context. The best joke you've ever heard could be one without a punchline if it is told by the right person.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 AM

-- T-Bone

Now I'm torn.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 AM

so rent it, I'll send you the £3 if you're hard up.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-- T-Bone

Now I'm torn.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a vote for see it. while i understand the OP's statements - he's misleading on the good parts.

another poster already said there were moments of gold...and there are seriously those in more than one place. i wouldn't reccomend this to everyone...but DB - as a fan of movies, you'll appreciate this almost from a documentary on comedy/the comedy community perspective.

it's def worth one viewing. you may love it.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 AM

If you enjoy comedy, as in stand up comedy and the art of delivering a joke, then you will enjoy this movie.

The little blurb about Chevy Chase, John Belushi and others getting together and trying to tell this joke for 30 minutes without repeating themselves is mind boggling.

If you like telling jokes, this movie will probably interest you.