Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Ideas for online biz\'s

I have quite a few ideas for online businesses that I think could be successful but no experience in building webpages or operating in the E-market whatsoever.

I know a lot of you have started online businesses, did you hire help to get going or did you learn these skills on your own?

I'm currently a management professional and finishing up my undergrad biz degree so I have some knowledge, just not related to the internet.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Ideas for online biz\'s

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you have started online businesses, did you hire help to get going or did you learn these skills on your own?

I'm currently a management professional and finishing up my undergrad biz degree so I have some knowledge, just not related to the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel when it comes to web design, you either have time or money... if you have time, build your website, learn HTML and a bit of Java. If you have money, pay someone else to build your website for you. However, bare in mind that web designers tend to charge too much IMO, and they don't really have an understanding of web marketing (they are designers, not marketers). So the websites that they build for you, might not neccessarily be 'consumer friendly'.

When I started my websites, I had time (and a little bit of money), so I learnt how to build website myself. Although, if you don't have any real interest in computer programming, you would be better off hiring someone to build your websites for you. But a word of warning... make sure that you have complete access to your websites database (rather than you having to go through the web designer for every little change or quirk).
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM

what is the usual rate for someone to design you a website ray?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A cheap rate is about $400 for a 2 or 3 page website. Once you add the extras (UV tracking, newsletter forms, ad placement) it can go up to about $750.

For a sleek looking website, you can pay as much as $1500 for the website (which I think is a rip off, since the best kind of sites for selling affiliate products are simple long one page sales letters).

It depends on what you want, what you are trying to sell and what extras you would like to add to the website...
Old 03-03-2007, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the response Ray.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:38 AM

Another thing to keep in mind if you are looking at learning how to develop your own site, is simply to find some sites that you like, and take a look at the "Source". Your browser has this functionality, and you can learn quite a bit, by just taking a look at how other sites are setup.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A cheap rate is about $400 for a 2 or 3 page website. Once you add the extras (UV tracking, newsletter forms, ad placement) it can go up to about $750.

For a sleek looking website, you can pay as much as $1500 for the website (which I think is a rip off, since the best kind of sites for selling affiliate products are simple long one page sales letters).

It depends on what you want, what you are trying to sell and what extras you would like to add to the website...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find designers that will do it for half of that cost, ray you either got ripped or wanted a bunch of database stuff for like a shop or something
Old 03-04-2007, 04:20 AM

Just to add, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that setting up a blog or a basic website with a few pages, is beyond the skill of any poster here, after reading a $20 book, or a few free articles on the web. All the tools you would need are freely available on the web.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:48 PM

http://www.nvu.com is pretty cool web design software, and pretty easy to use. It's free, and there's a ton of tutorials on the web about it.