Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Default UIGEA \"Virus\" Spreading Like Plague Worldwide

It is looking more and more like the UIGEA has done more than screw the American poker world. It seems to be spreading and mutating into various forms all around the world:

--Canada has stated that it may follow the USA with similar legislation of internet gambling.

--China, which has potential for massive online poker growth, has stated that they will severly regulate online gambling. They have gone so far as to say they consider it a scourge.

--France looks like it is following us with severe legislative restrictions to such a degree that today Party Poker announced it is pulling out of France.

--According to gambling 911.com the climate in Scandinavia and the Netherlands is not good right now for online poker.

So it is starting to look like the UIGEA--or perhaps I should say the UIGEA mentality-- is "morphing itself" and spreading all over the world in a variety of different forms.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: UIGEA \"Virus\" Spreading Like Plague Worldwide

hola sr. gaboonviper, como esta?

[ QUOTE ]

--France looks like it is following us with severe legislative restrictions to such a degree that today Party Poker announced it is pulling out of France.

--According to gambling 911.com the climate in Scandinavia and the Netherlands is not good right now for online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

hint: party went right back into france 1 day later
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Canada

"Canada has stated that it may follow the USA with similar legislation of internet gambling" ---

ANY basis or source for that statement in your post ? .... Not that "Canada" says anything in a single voice.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, he does have the paragraph thing down, but he is back to "fire and brimstone rain down upon you." [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sweden has its own online poker site. No one has tried to stop my Danish friends from online play. The Netherlands has been cracking down on unauthorized B&M play, but has said nothing about the internet. Adanthar has covered France. Canada has not done anything.

So about the only thing correct here is that China, that last great bastion of freedom, may also limit onine gambling. Sorry Gaboon, you are going to have to do better than this to scare me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Skallagrim
Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Canada has stated that it may follow the USA with similar legislation of internet gambling" ---

ANY basis or source for that statement in your post ? .... Not that "Canada" says anything in a single voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard from Ukraine that Bolivia has a crush on Thailand!

Seriously though, I'd be interested in hearing a source for this too.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this legislation seems like it could be a possiblity... especially since I have read of a couple of e-wallets already restricting or banning Canadian residents from using their services...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:52 PM

I have discussed that directly with Firepay. There was nothing behind it.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Venezuela (Chavez) will be pissed if that is true .... altho he was seen holding hands with Cuba anyway.

... or so I was told at recess.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: UIGEA \"Virus\" Spreading Like Plague Worldwide

Haha. Wait a minute. You're that guy on Stars who's avatar is of some blond chick and himself, the guy who calls a 4x raise and call with 54s from the SB then check/calls it down after making two pair on the turn. That's you right?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have discussed that directly with Firepay. There was nothing behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres gotta be a reason... no matter how seemingly innocent...