Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Attention NYC OOTers: Convince me I\'m not crazy

Alright so this Saturday, Hoboken is having it's annual St. Patty's day celebration. Long story short, it's supposedly the craziest/best day of the year here, as many NYC'ers come into town and party. The bars open at 7am, and people go out to the bars and drink in the streets all day. This will be the first year I'm in town for this celebration, and some college friends are coming into town to join me (some driving 4 hours to get here), as well as friends from the city.

Tonight, I received a call from a old high school friend who works in Philly right now. He tells me he has box seats to the Villanova/Syracuse basketball game, and asks if I want to go. For those who don't know me, this is the most important game of the year, as I grew up in 'Cuse but went to Nova. The last 4 years, I've had front row seats to this game.

I end up turning down his offer (?!?!?) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], as the party and the game fall on the same day. I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach right now.

Have any OOT'ers ever been to this St. Patty's celebration? Is it worth passing up box seats to the most important game of the year? Should I give my friend keys to my apartment and ditch out on this party (most likely not happening)? Someone please convince me I made the right move here.

edit for title change.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Attention NYC OOTers: Convince me I\'m not crazy

solids,

I'm not qualified to answer your comment about Hoboken's event. However, if I was you and the game meant that much to me, I would go to that.

Ethnic party holidays kinda suck IMO - this, Cinco de Mayo, Fat Tuesday. From my experience all the Irish/Mexican/Cajun themed places are at about 500% capacity so they herd everyone into an outdoor area, usually the parking lot, and serve them overpriced cups of beer while you hang out like cattle in a field. The weather often sucks so everyone is crowded around heaters or whatever and trying really hard to have a good time.

I guess if you get drunk enough or are young enough that may have some appeal to you, but I gave up crap like that a long time ago.

Solution: start drinking at 7AM, go to basketball game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 PM

I live in hoboken and the st pattys day parade is [censored] awesome if you like raging and booze. Its a huge party, very fun. Although i think they passed a law for teh bars to open later this year.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 PM

I'd rather watch a high quality basketball game with an old friend who I don't see that often (maybe this is an incorrect assumption). I can get drunk any time.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although i think they passed a law for teh bars to open later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the bars can't open until 7 a.m., instead of the traditional 6 a.m.

I lived in Hoboken for two years, and St. Paddy's day is lots of fun, plenty of drunken craziness.

But it'll be exactly the same thing next year, and it's not worth missing box seats to a big game with a good friend.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Yeah, you goofed on this one. St. Patty's Day is good, but I'd much rather be at the game. I'll be in town on Saturday pretty early (I hate Hoboken because of the [censored] parking) at my friends' place though. I think they're tapping the keg at 9.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 AM

St Pats day is for amatures. Go to the game and get drunk any time after it. Also NYC Parade the weekend after if you at all care
Old 03-02-2007, 11:28 AM

go to the game. and are you asking nyc'rs if they would go to jersey for anything? no.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:32 AM

you will regret not going to the game.. I've been to a couple Hoboken St Patty's Days and I'm not impressed
Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go to the game. and are you asking nyc'rs if they would go to jersey for anything? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except to watch their football teams, right...