Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Default 4/180. Squeeze situation?

Good time for a squeeze here? I was new to the table. My original thought was that this was a great time for a squeeze given the original raisers stack and the flat caller stack, but just making sure.

End result is I won the hand, but just want to know how horrible the play was.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3755)
UTG+1 (t1170)
MP1 (t1370)
MP2 (t2910)
CO (t3065)
Hero (t1710)
SB (t2515)
BB (t4755)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="gray">CO folds</font> Hero: ????
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: 4/180. Squeeze situation?

not with the huge open. leave results out next time but I don't think you are doing well against a 7x open, which is almost never 66-88.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM

There, I took out the end result. I left it in originally cause I didn't think it mattered to what the end result would be.

In hindsight, my original thought was a good time for a squeeze, but after the hand, even though I won it I thought that it probably wasn't the time for it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM

It's been mentioned before so i'm going to throw it out there, I think short of the Final 2-3 tables of these things at this limit a Squeeze is a bad play the majority of the time. My biggest reason as they are not paying enough attention to the logic behind a squeeze to realize they may behind. Luckily in this situation you actually have a hand so it's not a complete empty handed squeeze but I still don't like it here.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Not a good move.

1. You want to use the squeeze later in the tournament when the blinds/antes are high and everyone's in the money, or near the money, and they have something to lose. Its early in a 4.40 tournament where alot of these players don't even know the concept of a squeeze play, and are more likely to call off all their chips to any raise.

2. a 6.5x raise from early position is not likely to fall for a squeeze play.

3. You squeeze LAPs because they can open with lesser holdings but you just moved to the table. How do you know what kind of player this is?? You have no read on anyone, so how can possibly run a squeeze here??