Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Default 1st Hand, $5 HU SNG

On Full Tilt, never played with before

I'm in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button raises to 60.
I raise to 200.
Button raises to 540.
I...?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand, $5 HU SNG

I'd call and see the flop and go from there. I'm not pushing all in pre flop because you are probably beat or coin flip at best, but I'd call instead of folding because you still have plenty of chips to make a comeback if you fold on the flop.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call and see the flop and go from there. I'm not pushing all in pre flop because you are probably beat or coin flip at best, but I'd call instead of folding because you still have plenty of chips to make a comeback if you fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a joke. You're going to call off 1/3 of your stack and hope to hit a flop? LOL

You have to push here for a lot of reasons. First and foremost, its a $5 game. Most opponents are terrible at this level and I'd expect to see a whole host of hands in addition to QQ+,AQ+. Second, if your opponent was a thinking player, which he probably isnt, he might just see this as "taking control" on the first hand. His range is huge. Shove. If you lose, play another. Profit.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM

I like markpal's advice more.

You just dont have > 60% range against his range ( u dont even have > 50% against a reasonable player, but 60 is what i want here).

A player at this level committed his stack with raise for sure, he is not folding. Preflop or on the flop, he will put the rest of his chips in.

Maybe he is going to fold Q9o if we put it in preflop, he is for sure not folding 22.

If we put it in preflop we have a 56% chance to win the sng against a very loose player (22+, QJo+, A8s+)

You would probably have that chance against him even if you fold and continue with your 1300 chips.

If you call and hit the flop lets say 1/3 of the time your have an 80% edge against his range.

So in 0.35 * 0.8 = 0.28 = 28% you have won after this hand in 0.3 * 0.2 = 7% you have lost after this hand.

In the rest 65% where you not hit the flop, you continue on playing with 33% of the chips and can hope to win lets say 45% of the time against a bad player.

thats 0.65 * 0.45 = 30% win
+ the direct win with hitting the flop 28% = 58% to win the sng with the calling method (and you being a much better player)

So my estimate of 60% was wrong, in fact 55% would be enough because you also save time if you win it in the first hand.

It also depends on the exact handrange you give him, how much of an edge you expect to have, the 45% with 1/3 of the chips was only an estimate, could be more could be less.

If you think he is folding hands like 22-66 to your all-in, but calls with hands like A8 then pushing becomes also clearly right.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM

I'm all in every day and twice on Sundays.

P.S. I think people who are advocating calling (or folding) are seriously overestimating the skill of the average $5 HU player. Could he have a better hand? Yeah, sure. Could he have a worse hand? Yeah, and way more often than he has a better one.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a joke. You're going to call off 1/3 of your stack and hope to hit a flop? LOL

You have to push here for a lot of reasons. First and foremost, its a $5 game. Most opponents are terrible at this level and I'd expect to see a whole host of hands in addition to QQ+,AQ+. Second, if your opponent was a thinking player, which he probably isnt, he might just see this as "taking control" on the first hand. His range is huge. Shove. If you lose, play another. Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You read my mind. I was thinking about them just pushing me around because it was the 1st hand, it was a $5 game, and that if they was playing around with a hand like A9 or a pair of 4's, they might call the push. So I pushed, they instacalled with Kings, and I sucked out by hitting an Ace on the flop.

Also just finished playing my first 25 HU matches at Full Tilt after moving over from Doyle's Room, and went 17-8 for for a 68% win rate. Ran good, but also had a few horrible beats put on me. Might be more fish, might be different blind structure. Also, for those who care, I played over 500 HU SNG matches at Doyle's Room and won 59.5%.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 AM

Not shoving this is terrible.

You're ahead of his range, and his calling range. Get the money in PLEASE in a $6 SNG.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Clearly minraising is best.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You read my mind. I was thinking about them just pushing me around because it was the 1st hand, it was a $5 game, and that if they was playing around with a hand like A9 or a pair of 4's, they might call the push. So I pushed, they instacalled with Kings, and I sucked out by hitting an Ace on the flop.

Also just finished playing my first 25 HU matches at Full Tilt after moving over from Doyle's Room, and went 17-8 for for a 68% win rate. Ran good, but also had a few horrible beats put on me. Might be more fish, might be different blind structure. Also, for those who care, I played over 500 HU SNG matches at Doyle's Room and won 59.5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess this justifies what I felt. I would have put him on KK or at least a medium pair where I am a coin flip. See the flop, if that Ace hits you are golden, or maybe you get a flop with a couple diamonds.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Do you fold if the flop comes queen high?

I push this all day. He's committed a ton of his chips already. FWIW, i would call in the BB with this hand if SB open pushed first hand.