Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Default No Limit compared to Limit

Can somebody here explain to me the major difference in Limit to No Limit and how it changes your strategy? All I've ever played is No Limit, so limit seems confusing to me about how things might change for you in limit. For instance, you can't bluff anybody top 2 pair for all your chips representing a set, so for only 1 more bet it seems like they would most likely always be making a huge mistake to fold as opposed to in No Limit to where for all your chips you better be right on your calls.

So is that what they mean by limit when they say it's a mechanical game? Does this mean you pretty much bet all your good hands for as much as you can get them for, and for the most part don't bother bluffing as much?

Maybe this is all the wrong thinking about the game, but I just don't understand the idea of how the game becomes different when it's a fixed limit game, so if somebody could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: No Limit compared to Limit

I heard in no limit games some people actually think they can force an opponent off top two pair.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard in no limit games some people actually think they can force an opponent off top two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

because you can?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM

IMO Fixed limit is a different animal than NL. In fixed limit you are nearly always getting the odds to chase draws, where as in NL you have the ability top take those odds away from players.
I also think that LHE is a much more mathmatical game than NLHE.
Another point, as you rightly mention, it is much harder to bluff in Limit games because most of the time given the sizes of the pot, it is fundamentally an error to fold.

I don't play LHE very much and I am sure there is a whole lot more to it than just the obvious things I have pointed out.

My Advice: Stick to NL !!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM

Limit holdem is what people play when they aren't skilled enough to be successful at NL.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:09 AM

REALLY? From the books I have read it seems to me that both games are highly skilled in their own rights.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
REALLY? From the books I have read it seems to me that both games are highly skilled in their own rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a player that has recently moved from Limit to NL I have to say that whilst to be good at Limit you do need to be skilled in certain aspects of the game, there is so much more that you need to be aware of in NL.

Because people will chase more in Limit and you will see more showdowns as a result I found that the luck of the cards played a bigger part, and your skill has a much smaller edge. The bad beats on thr river were a lot more frequent and the swings in variance were disgusting.

In NL, where you play your opponents a lot more than you play the cards, your skill gives you a much greater edge.

I have only been playing NL for a couple of months now but I cant see me ever going back to Limit.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit holdem is what people play when they aren't skilled enough to be successful at NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it would be similar to how people make moronic posts like this when they aren't skilled enough to understand the game of Limit Hold'em.

The two games are very different. Is one more skillful than the other? possibly No Limit, but there are different subtleties in Limit.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody here explain to me the major difference in Limit to No Limit and how it changes your strategy? All I've ever played is No Limit, so limit seems confusing to me about how things might change for you in limit. For instance, you can't bluff anybody top 2 pair for all your chips representing a set, so for only 1 more bet it seems like they would most likely always be making a huge mistake to fold as opposed to in No Limit to where for all your chips you better be right on your calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.

Both games are similar in terms of the process of putting an opponent on a range and acting accordingly.
[ QUOTE ]
So is that what they mean by limit when they say it's a mechanical game? Does this mean you pretty much bet all your good hands for as much as you can get them for, and for the most part don't bother bluffing as much?

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically, that's pretty fair.

However, if you know that your opponent doesn't bluff as much, then you can fold more, but if your opponent knows you can fold more, they can bluff more... and so on.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is all the wrong thinking about the game, but I just don't understand the idea of how the game becomes different when it's a fixed limit game, so if somebody could help me out I'd appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Key differences:
*the amount of money in the blinds is a much larger component of the final pot
*draws become more valuable (because you can chase them much more cheaply)
*preflop hand selection is much more important in Limit, since you'll have a great deal of difficulty in getting away from top pair
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

*draws become more valuable (because you can chase them much more cheaply)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are saying that draws are more valuable in Limit I disagree.

It is rarely profitable in the longterm to chase draws in Limit as the return you will get when they hit is limited. You should really only be playing draws in unraised multiway pots to maximise your return when they do hit.

In NL draws play a much more important role as when they do hit they are harder to read and often make monsters allowing you to take players with TPTK, 2 pair etc to valuetown.