Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM

Default You have $100 million to make a film about a historical event....

I saw Apocolypto which had some amazing costumes and some amazing production design during the scenes involving human sacrifices and a solar eclipse, and I couldnt stop thinking about what a great idea it was to make a movie about the Mayans - sadly, Mel Gibson's directing and writing was absolutely atrocious and the movie came nowhere close to living up to its potential.

I would like to make a series of films about the Vietnam War from the perspective of the Vietnamese people. I would also like to make a film about the events surrounding the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, and I would like to make a film about the life of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: You have $100 million to make a film about a historical event....

I would make a film based on the life of my great-uncle Charles DeWitt Brower, so-called "King of the Arctic", based on his autobiography Fifty Years Below Zero
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 PM

I've always thought that the story of Jim Thompson has the potential to be turned into an outstanding film.

Thompson is best known for his namesake silk concern in Thailand which has thrived in his posthumous absence.

Thompson was the CIA station chief for SE Asia back in the early '60s. One afternoon (I believe in 1966) while having tea in the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia he went for a short stroll amidst the tea plants and was never seen again. All that was ever found was a shoe. There are various theories and legends about what happened to him, ranging from being eaten by a tiger to getting captured by Communist guerillas. Thompson has also become a bit of an "Elvis" type figure in the region as some have thought he is in fact alive and secretively running his silk concern from behind the scenes.

Thompson was involved with the OSS and Thai intelligence at the end of WWII. He was a devoted collector of art and had the sort of East Coast, Ivy League type pedigree typical of the types of men involved in American intelligence in that era.

There are a lot of avenues such a film could explore.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 PM

I think a movie about the first crusade, when the crusaders took Jerusalem, would be pretty interesting.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 PM

I would make a film about Wilfred Owen, the greatest of the British war poets of WW I. The scene of his mother being informed of his death as the church bellls rang out celebrating peace (a true story) would be heartbreaking.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Sir Richard Francis Burton, the British Explorer.

He was the first white man to enter Mecca, he translated the Kama Sutra and Arabian Nights, he discovered Lake Tanganyika, spoke 20 languages, etc...

He was pretty much a real-life Indiana Jones. Only more bad ass.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

I think I would make a film about the outlaws of the west, truely the most fascinating time period in american history.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 PM

The Battle of Dunkirk, and specifically Operation Dynamo, during which more than 330,000 British and French troops were evacuated to safety under the Germans' noses.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 PM

I would make a biopic about Augustus based on the Res Gestae Divi Augusti, Augustus' account of his life. Since this work is absurdly biased, I think it would make an excellent counterpoint to the revisionist history we've come to expect from modern Hollywood. Since I would want to include a number of historically accurate battles, I imagine the budget would have to be closer to $200M.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 PM

I'd hire Bill Condon and have him make a musical biopic about 2 Live Crew.