Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Martial artists

I'm sure it's been done previously, but I thought I'd initiate a lucid discussion here, and I didn't want to complicate the 'hobbies' thread. Guess I'll start with my own background:

started in the usual Korean nonsense (Hwarang Do) about age 12. Did that through high school, thought I was pretty competent. Always had trouble reconciling the kicking/stances with my own personal exploration of JKD, however. To this day, I still tend to fight strongside forward, interferes with my MMA training.

Got to college, got annihilated by varsity wrestlers. Realized there was much more to fighting than point sparring. Immediately started working out with wrestlers, and pursuing submission grappling on my own. Also worked in some Kung Fu, more JKD, even a bit of Shotokan.

In college, we had a legit fight club. This predated the movie. Not to the point of Jared Leto's mangled face, but we'd show up to classes hobbling, bruised, etc. Quite a sight. Professors always incredulous at our appearances. Friend of mine had taken over the local dojo in town, we used it for our sessions.

Upon graduating and returning to the NJ/NYC area, pursued grappling intensely. Got frustrated with some of the limitations of BJJ, moved into sambo and combat submission wrestling (Erik Paulson's discipline). Reformed my entire standup approach with Muay Thai and several hybrid offshoots. Also worked in some arnis and other stick/knife arts. As aforementioned, still tend to use the lead hand punch however. Old habits...I would hazard a guess that my standup most resembles JKD, and my groundwork a mix of several no-gi styles, though I have BJJ training. I really like the sambo/shootfighting emphases on foot/leg locks. I think leg vulnerability is vastly underexplored by BJJ guys. Different approach, however: BJJ is more about incremental victories, other styles often include dynamic, higher-risk attacks.

Recently attended seminars by Rich Franklin and Erik Paulson. I must say, simply holding the Thai pad for Franklin was the most visceral experience of my life. He has absolute thunder in his legs.

My current schedule prevents daily or even semi-regular training, which can be frustrating. These days, I delight in rolling with traditional wrestlers, who scramble madly to stay off their backs.

List of injuries too long to list. Indeed, anything muscular or to do with tendons/ligaments is far more inhibitng than a broken bone. There are days when, upon waking, pain just shoots through my body.

I guess this is a fair, if rambling and digressive, synopsis.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Martial artists

Started karate at 10. Ended up as an alternate on the U.S. team for a couple years in my early-to-mid 20's. Trained constantly for the first four years; I missed fewer than 10 classes training six days a week. Having a brother doing it at the same time helped in terms of training frequency. Frequency went down after that to 5 days/wk. on average outside of wrestling season. Less training in college during the school year.

Wrestled in H.S., enjoyed it a lot, but was surprised how being in shape for one MA can leave you quite unprepared for another.

Started BJJ at Carlson Gracie's about a year ago for fun (I'm 32), and have struggled with injuries. I like how knowing one style well carries over in terms of feints, chaining techniques, winner's mindset, that sort of thing. Looking forward to getting back into it in the next week or so after about six months off.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM

L,

Very interesting stuff. Would be happy to have a discussion of this stuff here, but in case you didn't know, I believe the mod playground is still focused on fighting, so you may want to check that out as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM

appreciate the heads-up sir. I don't really browse other fora save the strategies.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 PM

I first became interested in martial arts at about 10 years old. I had an uncle who served in Vietnam, and learned martial arts in the service. Whenever I visited his house, I would look through his karate books and try to teach myself a move.

At about 12 years old my "friends" and I participated in a fight club type of clique. We would visit each others houses and "spar" in the basement, or kitchen depending on how we could set up a ring.

At fourteen I joined my first dojang. I studied Korean Tae-Kwon-Do under Sabumnim Hector Martinez at the Yoo Dan Ya Institute of Tae Kwon Do.

I studied there until 16 when I moved away from the school and could no longer train there.

Fast forward to right before my 21st birthday. I had a "friend" "Ninja" that belonged to a fight club, only these guys were in their mid twenties, and all of them attended the same karate school. These karateka trained with Sensei Jerry "Fast Feet" Fontanez in the Bronx. In a Billy Blanks highlight video, Billy broke Jerry's jaw with a backfist. Despite that, Jerry was a very tough hombre.

Since I did not want to travel to the Bronx, "Ninja" recommended training under Shihan Robert Mauro, a teammate of Jerry's for the Miller Lite Karate team.

December 20 1988 I started studying the Chinese Kenpo system. My dojo has a lineage to the Tracy Brothers system.

http://www.georgiakenpo.net/info_pag...ys_history.htm

I became an instructor in 1990. I really enjoyed teaching karate.

In 1993 I became a night manager of the karate school.

I became a Shodan-ho (new black belt in training) June 26 1993. Ironically I got married June 26 2004.

http://www.uskarateacademy.com/instructors.html

Poster Fred G Sanford is the first person who I signed up for karate lessons who earned a black belt.

I competed in many point karate tournaments and had my share of success.

When I became a black belt, and I fought in the black belt division, I placed in the first few tournaments I placed in.

I competed in two kick boxing events, and I did not enjoy the experience. It bothered me to fight in front of people I did not really know just because the crowd wanted to see me destroy another person.

A few years ago I ran into someone I studied martial arts with named Mick Palermo. He was Shihan Mauro's 1st black belt. He also retired from karate. The last three times I saw him were in a poker room. His quote "Since I can't kick their ass in the ring anymore, I need to kick their ass at the poker table". Mick has done very well playing poker FYI, he was also a tremendous martial artist.

I moved from New York to New Jersey in 1995 and retired from the martial arts.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 PM

I started Hapkido when I was young and thoroughly enjoyed it. About half way through, I started doing BJJ as well, and loved that. I realised that my Hapkido training lacked in alot of areas, but I wanted to see it through and it was fun, so I continued doing both for a couple years, until I received my HKD blackbelt.

After that, I trained shortly in an MMA gym here, and then moved to montreal, and trained at a FANTASTIC MMA gym there. It's run by a guy named Philip Gelinas, and he trains some of the best Canadian fighters. I learned sooo much from that gym, and it toughened me up hugely.

While there, I attended a couple of major Canadian tournaments with Brazilian Top Team (who trained with us, and was coached by my instructor). Being around those guys was awesome, and attending tournaments with them was amazing...they are incredible atheletes, and there was a strong team atmosphere.

In addition, I've met George St. Pierre, who trains at a gym not too far from ours, and dropped in every now and then to do some work. He is in incredible shape, needless to say.

Since then I've moved out of Montreal. I'm pretty busy with other things, and I only do BJJ now, and still love it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must say, simply holding the Thai pad for Franklin was the most visceral experience of my life. He has absolute thunder in his legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little substantively to add, but when I trained MMA we had Gokor come in and roll around with us for a bit. He put a rear naked choke on me and it literally felt like a long dagger/sword entered my throat instantly. I remember being amazed that a human being could do that to another human.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 PM

now that the Mod's Playground has apparently swtiched gears, I'd like to refresh this topic. The banter in there was rather disjointed.

So, who among us has trained? If so, duration/capacity?

I am excited beyond words that the ADCC World Championships are being held in NJ this year, in May. Only the second year they've been on US soil. Hmm, from Abu Dhabi to Trenton in 2 years, rather a polar change, no?

Amazing highlight vid:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ight&hl=en
Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 AM

Any advice as to which style to start with if you are new to martial arts? It seems like everyone ends up doing more than one anyway, so does it really matter? Is it a good idea to go very far with one style or introduce yourself to a few different ones?

I'm looking to pick up a new hobby, martial arts seems awesome. I did gymnastics competitively for 10 years, fwiw. Can still walk on my hands etc but lost a lot of other stuff.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 AM

Ok, I know this is stupid and *NOT* the point of MMA, but...
I have to ask this question out of curiosity..

I'm planning on starting working out with a mix of Muay Thai and BJJ in columbus OH with a professional. This is going to be me a friend and him so private lessons.

Will this combo help me out in real life fighting situations? Or will I still get dominated by someone who knows wrestling techniques?