Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 11:32 PM

Default AKo blind defense hand

7 handed 20-40. I am in BB with AKo. Hijack opens. He is small winner at best 21-13 1.52. SD are 35/53.

I call preflop.

Flop: 3d 5d 3s. I have king of diamonds. I check call.

Turn: 6h. (3d 5d 3s 6h) I check call.

River: Jc. (3d 5d 3s 6h Jc) I bet.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: AKo blind defense hand

You should check/call the river too as only a better hand or chop will call and at least you'll get another bet out of a bluff.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should check/call the river too as only a better hand or chop will call and at least you'll get another bet out of a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you're not gonna 3bet preflop, either c/r the flop or lead the turn.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:56 PM

I agree with poker 101...too passive with this play..it stinks of a bluff on the river. You're getting called by any pair in that spot..
Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 AM

I think you should play this hand fast. 3 betting preflop will discourage people from trying to steal your big blind, will cause a lot of incorrect folds when you whiff the flop but your opponent isn't helped either, and gets value out of your hand when you likely have the best of it.

I agree with JoeTall's comment about your river play.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:29 AM

If you dont 3 bet AK pre flop to a steal raise what are you waiting for !!???
Old 02-12-2006, 03:23 AM

I'm confused. Why did you just call preflop?

I guess the postflop line is ok, but it feels weird because it's a situation you set up by just calling preflop. Did you think about checkraising the flop?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 AM

I would call occasionally preflop but only against people utterly incapable of folding ace high when not 3 bet preflop in blind steal situations i.e. 40+ wtsd.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM

my default play is to just call and checkraise/lead any flop that isnt j109 of clubs. I 3 bet 30% of the time probably. When it came 334 to me it almost became a WA/WB secnario. If I checkraise/lead and he has a pair i'm spewing when behind and hes not goona fold ace high on a 334 board with a flush draw.

He can almost never have 2 live overcards to my hand and he has to bet the turn with any 2 overcards when i just defend my bb and c/c when it comes 443. I could checkraise the turn but again I might get 3 bet my 99-QQ and I have to call presuming I have 6 outs.

I VALUE bet the river. I wasnt betting as a bluff, I way prefer betting the river to check calling the river. I get called by AQ A10 A8 A7 virtualy every time. And he might try to bluff raise me because my line is so werid.

Obviously this hand was played strangely but if you think about it instead of just thinking black and white. (didnt 3 bet ak preflop, bet ace high on the river, didnt cr when you thought u were best)
I think it might be a good line.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hijack opens. He is small winner at best 21-13 1.52. SD are 35/53.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that a person with those stats can't win much? Or is there some extra read hiding behind "small winner at best".

The idea behind not 3-betting preflop is to raise the flop unless it's bad. The idea behind just calling the flop is to trap someone who is likely to autobet the turn. The idea behind just calling the turn is ... actually that shouldn't be happening.

AK is a good hand versus a 13 PFR hijack raise. You need to make a move before the river. Call-call-call is too passive. You are giving up too much value in an attempt to keep him from folding. Look at the final pot size of roughly 8 BB. That's the size of the swing you will suffer if he hits a 3-outer like KJ or 6-outer like QJ on the turn or river. His outs are worth a lot of money. It's not a terrible thing to drive him out of the pot by taking the initiative at some point. Of course it won't actually be very easy to drive someone out on this board. In that case you just get paid for your hand and passive play serves no purpose at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I VALUE bet the river. I wasnt betting as a bluff, I way prefer betting the river to check calling the river. I get called by AQ A10 A8 A7 virtualy every time. And he might try to bluff raise me because my line is so werid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that this is a value bet and not a bluff. Worse hands are calling, better hands are not folding. But the hand that bet the river is much weaker than the hand that didn't checkraise the turn. That's a really bad river card versus his likely range. Furthermore getting a hand like QT to fold the turn is very valuable, while betting into that same hand on the river only eliminates the chance that he might bluff again. That you can even consider value betting the river underlines that you have been too passive.

I take it that you are calling the river raise. At 8-1 I agree that you may be correct in doing this because your line may induce a bluff. But you will also lose a lot of bets when AA-JJ, AJ-QJ, 66, and 55 and possible other hands raise for value. This will suck a lot of the value out of your river bet. Nevertheless I expect that the river bet will gain more bets than it loses and I agree with it.