Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 PM

Default easy shove KQo with 5bb utg?

i guess this might seem like a waste of time for some(or most?) but i just wanted some insight on this hand.
this is a live 50 person tourny, top 6 get paid, 11 people left. blinds at 1,000/2,000, i have 11,500 and am around average with big stack at about 70,000.
SB-8000
BB-12,500
hero UTG-11,500 KcQd

do you fold this UTG here or jam it hoping you have some fold equity and a fighting chance if called?
thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: easy shove KQo with 5bb utg?

There are more players at this table? yes? you can't be 3 handed with 11 people still in the tourney right (3 tables of 3 players, 4 players, 4 players... are they waiting for someone at your table to bust before playing two tables?) Anyways yes this is basically an insta push considering your stack size and the strength of your hand in a showdown, and the blinds are going to be less likely to look you up as they dont have very good chip position in the tourney themselves (giving you nice additional FE)...
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 PM

i definitely push this especially live
Old 03-01-2007, 12:21 AM

yes there are 6 at the table, waiting for 1 to bust for FT, i didnt remember their stacks exactly so didnt mention them, sorry for the incomplete post. I did insta push and unluckily ran into AK in the BB but what can you do!
thanks for your replys
Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 AM

ez shove
Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM

shove it all night long
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ez shove

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Bad shove, I'n my opinion your screwed here. your not in position to play this hand. You could try a call and see if you get a cheep flop but that will be kinda dumb with so many to act. You will get called by most Ax hands big stacks with anything want you out so they call with 9,10 suited and such. To many ways to lose. I would just wait for that BB to hit me. If you get KQ off, and there is a caller plus SB call you then can push. you have 11.5 will go down to 8.5 after blinds with 8.5 you are more likely to get a call by a crap hand if you get something good then you have 20k and are above average and will make the money with no more hands. Those are my thoughts.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad shove, I'n my opinion your screwed here. your not in position to play this hand. You could try a call and see if you get a cheep flop but that will be kinda dumb with so many to act. You will get called by most Ax hands big stacks with anything want you out so they call with 9,10 suited and such. To many ways to lose. I would just wait for that BB to hit me. If you get KQ off, and there is a caller plus SB call you then can push. you have 11.5 will go down to 8.5 after blinds with 8.5 you are more likely to get a call by a crap hand if you get something good then you have 20k and are above average and will make the money with no more hands. Those are my thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately your thoughts are wrong. i'll get you started: getting called by T9s is not a bad thing. Neither is Ax, really, considering the overlay. Obviously we would rather be called by something we dominate or steal the blinds, but getting called by Ax or T9s is hardly the worst result in the world.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM

OK, against A6 suited you are a 40/60 dog. 9,10 suited your are 60/40. so you gamble 50/50 for all your chips against crap hands that are likely to call you. let alone if your up against a PP where you are a real dog. why not wait out the blinds, you might get that lucky hand. but on the button your all in shove if it has been checked to you stands a better chance of pulling blinds as they are small stacked also. but if someones raised say 3x, you end up with a nice hand and shove get called by two players now you got 26k plus.