Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Boston - a - ments

Hey I was checking out another thread and saw a lot of trash talking about Boston. I'm planning on moving there in July, to become a full time poker pro, and living with a friend doing the same thing.

We're looking to pay about 1K/month each.

I don't know anything about Boston / Boston area.

but judging from that thread I'm making a horrible mistake (esp. since I'm moving from sunny San Diego).

Am I being a nit?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Boston - a - ments

there are people who will talk trash about anything on the internet, i wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what they say.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

boston over san diego? why?!?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

I live in boston, so feel free to ask questions.

But, I'm confused, you're moving to Boston to become a poker pro? At foxwoods? If it's online, why move to such an expensive city?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in near boston, so feel free to ask questions.

But, I'm confused, you're moving to Boston to become a poker pro? At foxwoods? If it's online, why move to such an expensive city?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Boston is a bit of enigma as a city.

We have an incredible set of colleges and universities, which I think sets a tone where education and intellectualism and culture are very important.

We have some of the best hospitals in the world.

We have an awful lot of old money and blue blooded families, who kind of give off a inflated sense of self-importance to a lot of the city/state.

Despite the fact that Boston is a 'major' city, it's also fairly unique as a very walkable American city, which gives it a very European feel. Only a couple other US cities are like this, one of which is NYC which is so gigantic that it really doesn't feel 'walkable' (which is kind of unfair imho).

Property values are extremely high, basically b/c there is none left. People have been leaving MA b/c of this. There are lots of very nice exurban and suburban places to live - some of the best in the country I think - but you'll pay.

there are lots of great beaches and summer vaca spots, as well as skiing in the winter. the fall has beautiful weather.

the pro sports culture here is 2nd to none, if that's your thing.

The downsides are related to the upsides. B/c of all the colleges, Boston has a rep as a college town that is much better for 20-25 YO's than it is for 26 - 35 YO's. This is certainly true compared to NYC, which is an awesome city to live in in your 30's, but I don't know how it compares to other US cities.

Also, the people here are very aggressive and sarcastic, not weird for the northeast at all. But, this is off putting to a lot of people who just find it rude.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM

MA is one of the worst states for poker pros to live in. i don't really want to go into more detail on this.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Another Masshole here. Stay in San Diego. You won't like our weather here. Genitalia-iverting cold and crack-o-the-butt-sweat heat and humidity, with months of rain in between. I've lived here most of my life and would love to find a job in San Diego.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're living in the city (cambridge/boston/brooline areas) this is pretty close to the bottom rung for a 2br apt (assuming you don't want crack dealers/whores plying their trades on your stoop). It's going to be very old, small, and a bit dumpy. Just so you're prepared.

I live in boston and I think you're making a mistake. I do love it here though as weird as that may sound.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're living in the city (cambridge/boston/brooline areas) this is pretty close to the bottom rung for a 2br apt (assuming you don't want crack dealers/whores plying their trades on your stoop). It's going to be very old, small, and a bit dumpy. Just so you're prepared.

I live in boston and I think you're making a mistake. I do love it here though as weird as that may sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true is you spend any time looking. $1800 can buy you a decent 2 bedroom in a good neighborhood.

Our big 2/3 bedroom w/ 3 parking spots in Inman Sq. is $1850.