Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Weighing the Odds in Hold\'em Poker - For NL?

I've got $25 in an Amazon certificate and was going to burn the money on Phil Gordon's Green book and Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker by King Yao.
However looking at the intro online it states its for limit players, is there much value for NL? Any other NL recomendations? Most of the 2+2 published stuff accept NLTP which I've heard mixed reviews of...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Weighing the Odds in Hold\'em Poker - For NL?

Weighing the Odds is a limit book (and a very good one). If you've not read the Harrington on Hold 'em series it may be your best choice.

While HOH is written for MTTs and sats, many of the lessons can be applied to cash games.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks, actually I play SNG NL and some MTT, so I've read all of Dan's books, I'm sort of looking for a filler order to burn the last $15 or so of my Amazon credit. Possibly even if its a limit book it still might be worth getting?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly even if its a limit book it still might be worth getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTO is a very good limit book. It measures up well to any 2+2 title. You will find lessons which are applicable to NL, as you would with any well written poker book, but the book does not cover NL at all.

Though I've not read it, I can't imagine being disappointed with the Chen/Ankerman "Mathematics of Poker" book or even Caro's "Book of Tells" if you play live if you're just looking to flesh out the library. Plus, there are a couple of promising 2+2 titles in the pipeline if you're patient. There are several posters here who display good judgment who swear by the Ciaffone/Rueben book (about which there is a thread on this page).

Ordinarily I'd not try to talk someone out of buying WTO but, good as it is, it isn't a NL book.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 PM

I had to laugh as "Chen/Ankerman "Mathematics of Poker" was on my list but after reading some reviews I'm not sure my brain is big enough to read it!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Weighing the Odds is a limit book (and a very good one).

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Kill Phil? Or if you're getting LGB, then how about Little Blue Book?

(Stay away from Little Black Book. It's just POKER THE REAL DEAL in a new cover.)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Yea I've got Kill Phil otherwise a great idea. I thought about the little blue book too (thanks for the tip on black, heard that story). I'm was just leaning towards a general sort of math concept book but I guess most of them are limited oriented. Oh well.... might just flip a coin or just save the extra credit until later...
Just glad someone got me the online Amazon thing as opposed to the two damn Borders gift cards I have at home....
Hate going to that place and paying their prices...