Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 AM

Default process of hiring a mechanical engineer

I have an idea for a product but I don't have the actual design of it. I am certain that the product is feasible but really do not have the best idea about going about getting it made. Can I just approach a mechanical engineer with the idea and see what he can come up with? How much would this cost me and what is the best process to find one? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: process of hiring a mechanical engineer

I'm not sure about the specifics of the actual process you need to go through, but I can tell you that it will likely be much too expensive for a normal person to pay for this on his own. Be prepared for rates on the order of $150-$250/hour. Without knowing anything about your idea, it could be weeks or months before a legitimate design/analysis could be done.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Just Google "prototype". There are tons of companies that specialize in this.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm a mechanical engineer. Sup?

Actually, I'm a retired mechanical engineer who's moved into finance doing venture debt - so not only can I tell you how to make the product, but how to structure and grow the business and who to talk to when you choose to get funding. I can also put you in contact with the necessary iBankers to take your company public when we get to that point. I like to think of myself as a one stop shop.

While my tone is joking, it's all actually true, and I'm happy to provide a little guidance if you'd like.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 PM

So without posting specific company names if possible, could you list the steps required to go from "idea" to "product prototype"?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 PM

It's fully dependent on what type of product you want to make.

A strange geometry seat post for your mountain bike? Take some measurements, do a drawing. You could always get someone to draw it up in Pro/E or SolidWorks, or even Autocad. Take that to a local machine shop, get quotes, have em make a couple.

Mechanical stuff is pretty cut and dried. The difficulty is really figuring out tolerances that will work - you need everything to fit but don't want to overconstrain as tighter tolerances cost more money.

For somthing with electronic components, say a new widget with RF capabilities to couple your VoIP infrastructure with your dual mode cell phone, well that's going to require board layouts, schematics, software engineers, board layout software, etc.

It all really depends on the product you're tryin to prototype.