Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Ethics & Implied Odds Questions

So let's say the person to your immediate right is unintentionally exposing her hole cards - you don't say anything, right? I mean, the rule is no craning of the neck, correct?

Now you see that she picks up AA and limps and you have 88 but only like 90BBs you limp behind and the BB raises to $60 ($5 and $10 blinds) and the AA just smooth calls. I would normally like to have deeper stacks to try to flop the set (even though I have position, I just got to the table 30 minutes before and have no good reads to make me think I can earn the pot) So if you normally would want 20:1 implied pot odds, how would knowing the exact hole cards of one of your opponents change your calculus?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Ethics & Implied Odds Questions

Wrong forum.

This is a call whether or not you see her cards.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you normally would want 20:1 implied pot odds, how would knowing the exact hole cards of one of your opponents change your calculus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live, I see people pitching pocket pairs vs. me so often when I raise limpers to like 6BBs, and everyone else folds. I always wondered what the hell they were doing. Now I learn that you need 20:1 with a pocket pair. Also, we're usually like 250BBs+ deep.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM

wtf, 20:1! This must be a level. If not, you only need 7:1 = ~12% to FLOP a set. You are 12% to hit on flop, 16% to hit BY turn and 20% to hit BY river. So, if he's demanding less than 12% of YOUR stack, this is a call.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 PM

so every time you hit your set you stack your mark?

I'm not leveling and I'm sure I am just a midstakes nit, but what about all the times you make your set and don't get action or miss your set and have an overpair to a baby board or make your set and lose to straights, flushes and oversets.

my understanding was that you needed a chance to win a big pot to offset those.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi shawny boy,

7:1 is too little. As you said, your set doesn't always win, and when it does, you don't always get the whole stack. 10:1 is what most of us use, I think, but in your hand, it was 50 more to call in a pot of 130, with ~850 behind. So that's 2.6:1 immediate odds, plus up to 17:1 more. Also, in this hand, you KNOW your opponent has something excellent (AA), so your implied odds should be toward the top of that 17:1 range, in most cases (esp. given she limp-called with AA).
Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi shawny boy,

7:1 is too little. As you said, your set doesn't always win, and when it does, you don't always get the whole stack. 10:1 is what most of us use, I think, but in your hand, it was 50 more to call in a pot of 130, with ~850 behind. So that's 2.6:1 immediate odds, plus up to 17:1 more. Also, in this hand, you KNOW your opponent has something excellent (AA), so your implied odds should be toward the top of that 17:1 range, in most cases (esp. given she limp-called with AA).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And if she is limp calling with AA then we can probably deduce that she is stacking off quite light with them as well.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so every time you hit your set you stack your mark?

I'm not leveling and I'm sure I am just a midstakes nit, but what about all the times you make your set and don't get action or miss your set and have an overpair to a baby board or make your set and lose to straights, flushes and oversets.

my understanding was that you needed a chance to win a big pot to offset those.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are also times where your opponent doesn't have a hand or doesn't make a hand (ie AK) and you take it down as well.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM

reraise all in her cards might change...thats the right play here. you guys are such nits. If im playing live and have 8s in a 5/10NL game and i know my opponents whole cards I call only bc i think it would super fun to see a flop with them and play accordingly, and lets say u do see aflop and the flop is something like A,8,X. You can make the greatest lay down anyone has ever seen for one bet, hahaha.