Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Why is Mike Mattusow so obsessed with Gus Hansen?

I've seen them on about 4 different televised poker shows now and every single time Mike will NOT shut up about how much of a donkey he thinks Gus is and how he'll never win another tournament again, etc... Constantly needling him to the extreme any time he wins a pot off him and so forth. Meanwhile Gus always just sits there calmly and takes the verbal thrashing without ever saying a word in response.

What is Mike's problem? Is it a jealousy thing? Is there a history there? I find it quite strange. Entretaining of course, but strange nonetheless.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Why is Mike Mattusow so obsessed with Gus Hansen?

Pretty sure it just means Gus was sitting closest to him because he says that about every person he is on TV with
Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM

The fact that Gus is more LAG than him likely plays a big part.

Mike tends to verbally jab when he out of his comfort zone more than anything. This is his default defense against a better player like Gus.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Matusow's needling of Gus goes a little too far? it goes to the point that you can tell Matusow really does have something against Gus.

The worst part is that you can see Hansen's play is affected by it. Gus is a quite guy that likes to think about his hands, not have the mouth trash him like the energizer bunny non stop while making a decision.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks Matusow's needling of Gus goes a little too far? it goes to the point that you can tell Matusow really does have something against Gus.

The worst part is that you can see Hansen's play is affected by it. Gus is a quite guy that likes to think about his hands, not have the mouth trash him like the energizer bunny non stop while making a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

so that means matusows strategy is working. he obviously is talking trash to try to get a the better player away from his a-game.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What show is this ?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:59 AM

from his blog
[ QUOTE ]

Before I leave you, I need to clear up an issue. I have been asked by so many people what is going on with Mike Matusow and me. Apparently Mike has said some things about me and my poker play and people are wondering whether we are enemies or something worse. Thats funny.

Let me make it absolutely clear: I have no problem with Mike – we get along just fine. Mike is a good guy, but also a trash talker who sometimes loses his table feeling. Most times his insults are completely innocent though.

I guess he has to maintain his “Mike the Mouth” image and sometimes I am first in line, but the bad-mouthing doesn’t get to me at all. So no problem there…

That’s all for now. Until next week.

Gus

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What show is this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's talking about the most recent Poker SuperStars season (is it the third?). I only watched the end but it appeared Gus was outplaying Mike. He checkraised Mike allin on the flop with a draw, and Mike folded middle pair when he was 70%. Then Gus, with a big chip lead, kept pushing Mike allin with weak hands, blinding Mike down.

He finally put Mike allin with K9o (or something similar) and Mike nutted up and called with QQ So Mike finally got himself in the situation he wanted, but he was so short that if he won, he still would be the shorter stack, and he was 30% to lose and end the match right there.

So of course Gus flopped a King And Mike goes on a tirade about Gus's play in the post match interview.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure it just means Gus was sitting closest to him because he says that about every person he is on TV with

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Also, does anyone really think Gus cares? He catches crap from a lot of people for his loose play.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Gus seems so aloof and above it all. If all of the needling affected him he sure has a good way of hiding it. I think he's a good guy and kinda knows how to "roll w/ the flow" so to speak. He just lets Mikey do his thing w/o a fuss, I admire him for that.