Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Downsized and looking for a job. Help appreciated

The company I worked for decided that since sales were down about 35% from 2005 (2006 sucked and 2007 was not starting out much better), my position (bookkeeper) was superflous, and I was let go on Valentines Day. I've filed for unemployment, but I have to wait a couple weeks for that, and I'm trying like hell to get a job before then.

Before the bookkeeping gig I was in Management for a bank, and retail management. I've sent out like 30 resumes in the last week in response to job postings on monster.com and craigslist, and hotjobs.com etc... I don't want to go back into the bookkeeping thing because it was boring and I like working with the masses.

OOT, what else can I be doing to get a job, my wife doesn't work (although she will start soon if I don't get a job, the mortgage still needs to be paid, and I have 2 kids I won't put in a position of not having money for the things they need). What am I missing, I've gotten no response from the resumes I've sent, and they aren't just mass mailing, they are targetted to job openings that have ben advertised.

OOT please give me some more ideas.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Downsized and looking for a job. Help appreciated

I always hated doing this, but most people would tell you to "network": call people you know who work for companies you want to work for, go to conferences in your industry, talk to your friends and family, etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM

maybe there is something "missing" in your resume... post here with personal info eliminated.

why not go back into banking?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What am I missing, I've gotten no response from the resumes I've sent, and they aren't just mass mailing, they are targetted to job openings that have ben advertised.

[/ QUOTE ]
What you're not doing that you need to do is follow-up with every single submittal with a phone call and/or e-mail to confirm that your resume has been received, etc. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Also, you may want to post what city you're in, you may get more specific help that way.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe there is something "missing" in your resume... post here with personal info eliminated.

why not go back into banking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to get back into banking (where most of my attention has been focused) I'm in MN, and will post the resume with personal info edited out in a few mins.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Here is my resume cut and pasted from MS word. It's sized to fit onto one page when printed.

Deadbodys resume
Address and contact info

Education: Pursuing a business degree thru a local good name business school

company: August 2004-February 2007
Job Title: Administration Manager
Supervisor: weasel
Responsibilities: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, order processing, procurement and receiving of Inventory. Prepare all financial statements and relative reports. Human Resources responsibilities. Responsible for company payroll as well as that of six crews of sub-contracted installers. Planned and ran a company sponsored charity golf tournament that raised more than $5800 for Habitat for Humanity. Discovered and followed to completion two separate embezzlement cases perpetrated by employees enabling my employer to recover almost 70% of stolen money, a total of over one hundred thousand dollars. Also assisted the proper authorities in prosecuting the individuals.

Bank: 5/01 to 03/04
Job Title: Senior Assistant Branch
Supervisor: r
Responsibilities: Supervise Sales Associates for: effectively cross-selling products to our customers, maintaining audit control procedures, smooth professional encounters with customers, problem resolution with difficult customers. Helping to manage the branch with the branch manager to maximize sales numbers while keeping personnel and supply costs within budget. Running a teller drawer when necessary. Person looked to for explaining bank policies to non-English speaking customers. Training new and existing Sales Associates in sales and customer service techniques.

CD store: 11/00 to 5/01
Job Title: Store Manager
Supervisor:
Responsibilities: Customer Service, ordering products as needed, receiving in products, building and leading a team, resolving customer complaints, handling money, budgeting for staff to cover the hours needed with the money allowed. Inventory control; creatively solve problems facing my store and others.

References available upon request.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 PM

deadbody,

Looks nice enough. Bullet points always look better though. Example:

<ul type="square">[*]Prepare all financial statements and relative reports[*]Human Resources responsibilities[*]Responsible for company payroll as well as that of six crews of sub-contracted installers[*]Planned and ran a company sponsored charity golf tournament that raised more than $5800 for Habitat for Humanity[*] Discovered and followed to completion two separate embezzlement cases perpetrated by employees enabling my employer to recover almost 70% of stolen money, a total of over one hundred thousand dollars. Also assisted the proper authorities in prosecuting the individuals.[/list]Something like that. Also, tell the embezzlement story plz.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:04 PM

I would write a cover letter for each resume, specific to the company. It shows that you are really keen on the job. Try and find connections through friends that can put in a good word to another dept. at their company.

Other than that, just keep at it. I would say in the range of 30 resumes to 1 interview is about the right ratio. Unless you are doing something very specialized.

Consider a headhunter/recruitment agency. They will take a cut from your first year salary (maybe 5%) but if they can get you in the door, its worth it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Obviously the embezzling managers don't want to hire you. Omit that sentence and post under skills that you able to be blind when it's convenient for the managers.