Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM

Default $24 - I suck in the blinds.

I've been running into trouble in these spots lately and I'm unsure of how to play these types of hands. I have a decent hand in the SB and its folded around to me, is it better to raise 3x here or is completing fine? The main problem I have when raising 3x here is I hate playing bigger pots OOP with marginal hands. FWIW, after completing I usually fire out a 65-75 bet on most flops.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t575
UTG+1: t1485
MP1: t1455
MP2: t1300
MP3: t1450
CO: t3860
Button: t735
Hero: t1460
BB: t1180

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
7 folds, Hero calls t25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t100, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t65</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t130</font>, Hero calls t65 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t295)</font>.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t360, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets t360</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t1280</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in t640</font>.
Uncalled bets: t280 returned to Hero.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t2360, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: t2360)

Results:
Final pot: t2360

No reads on villain other than he slowplayed a set earlier and ended up losing a good chunk of his stack after the flush completed on the turn.

He minraises my flop bet so I ruled out the possibility of a monster as he is the type of player who is more likely to slowplay bigger hands. Anyone like a 3 bet on the flop? On the turn I had no idea what to do and was completely lost. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Re: $24 - I suck in the blinds.

You said he just lost a set due to slowplaying. Tho i can sense this isnt what he had thru the way you posted, I think a set of 3s isnt to be "ruled out".
However, I think one of his more likely holdings is A3 or Q3, the latter being more likely ofc.
The complete pf isnt bad, so is the bet on the flop. I'd also call the raise on the flop. Yet, I dont see what your intention in this crai on the turn is. He has shown strength on the flop and pots (!) the turn as another flushcard and a possible straight card has shown up.
This being said, I dont like risking lots of my stack (e.g. the whole) in marginal situations early and Id pretty easily fold on the turn.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM

I don't understand the CR at all-

I like completing pf

I'd rather c/c flop, 2 reasons- 1 i think more hands that are behind bet the flop when we check than call when we bet and 2 it keeps the pot smaller when we're behind.

As played I'm c/c the turn- I can't see many things we beat calling the CR nor can I see villian folding a better hand often. So why are we CRing the turn?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 AM

A9 is trash, I fold AJ is the SB. If you are limping with A9 you should be looking for two pair. 9 is a terrible kicker out of position.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A9 is trash, I fold AJ is the SB. If you are limping with A9 you should be looking for two pair. 9 is a terrible kicker out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense to me. You fold AJ in the sb if folded to?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have some re-evaluating to do
Old 02-26-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense to me. You fold AJ in the sb if folded to?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I meant I don't complete if there are limpers, I might raise if folded to.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 AM

1) I raise A9 about 80% preflop because it is very likely I have the best hand and if called by Ax it is more likely I dominate him than he dominates me (we are talking about a random donk).
My plan through the hand is a) to take it down preflop, b) if called I bet or check-raise a flop I hit, depends a lot of how scary the board looks beside an A or 9. I usually check-fold if I did not hit and am betted into.

2) the 20% I complete preflop I would check the flop with an A (and not that scary board) and of course check-raise if bb bets to take it down fast. I don't mind if he checks behind, because if I bet the following blanks he might think his second pair is good.

3) As played on the flop you have no clue were you are and you are playing oop. dont like that at all.

4) After the third high card appearing on the flop I would very fast define my hand by betting pot or I would check-fold if for some reason I believe him (usually his minbet means more like "I don't believe you have an A, but I have hit third pair, wanna fold?"

5) The check-raise all-in I don't like. a) you would hate checking behind and appearence of J, K, any third flush card. b) He is getting nearly 4:1 to call your all-in, even if he is behind with his Axs or 43sparks he is not mistaken calling you. Also don't miscount that in case of any high card or 3 appearing your A9 isnt winning against A-rag.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just joined SNGIcons and the couple of videos ive watched reccomend a supertight strategy in early.
IMO playing 9-J kickers OOP is not supertight.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just joined SNGIcons and the couple of videos ive watched reccomend a supertight strategy in early.
IMO playing 9-J kickers OOP is not supertight.

[/ QUOTE ]

im fairly confident that none of the sngicons would recommend an open-fold here. i was referring to the current hand only and assumed you were too. id also complete this with limpers though, but i def wouldnt touch it outside of the blinds unless folded to on the BT.