Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Default FTP 400k - Str/Flush draw

Ok

Heres the set up - start of the second hour and recently just moved to the table so no reads, and no reads on me by neone. We have alomst equal stacks, I'm at 5416 and he;s at 5540. Blinds are 40/80.

I get 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as third to act and make it 210. Folds to villain in bb who calls. Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain makes it 240. Whats your move and plan for the rest of the hand? Full HH below for any details i missed.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1872770333: $400,000 Guarantee (13541907), Table 90 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:10:04 ET - 2007/02/25
Seat 1: pkr_magic (3,305)
Seat 2: kikibommer (3,420)
Seat 3: Lluthian (3,205)
Seat 4: JohnnyROCKS (5,540)
Seat 5: Slambros (3,580)
Seat 6: UTfan (2,485)
Seat 7: whynot138 (5,416)
Seat 8: kle18 (3,505)
Seat 9: sonofchufty (7,725)
Lluthian posts the small blind of 40
JohnnyROCKS posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to whynot138 [6c 8c]
Slambros folds
UTfan folds
whynot138 raises to 210
kle18 folds
sonofchufty folds
pkr_magic folds
kikibommer folds
Lluthian folds
JohnnyROCKS calls 130
*** FLOP *** [Tc Js 7c]
JohnnyROCKS bets 240
Old 02-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: FTP 400k - Str/Flush draw

I would fold pf in early position with these small blinds. That said your raise is probably pretty close to ev neutral.

As played I put in a heavy raise on the flop because I think that the villain will be able to fold a weak jack or any ten (you are repping QQ+.)

I make it 1450 to go and obviously I would call a push.

If he calls and checks to me on the turn I would shove an AKQ, I would bet 1,800 on a 9. I would bet 1,800 on a club. I am unsure how I would react to a blank, sometimes I would shove and sometimes I would take a free card.

Interesting hand though, I am interested in how others would play it.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM

i'm just calling here because if we get it ai on the flop, i believe only the made straight, sets, and bigger draws will get it in with us.

i'd probably never raise it up here with QQ+ and zero reads.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just calling here because if we get it ai on the flop, i believe only the made straight, sets, and bigger draws will get it in with us.

i'd probably never raise it up here with QQ+ and zero reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole reply makes no sense. If only sets and a made straight will play with us if we raise then we should be raising every time here, even with complete air. In this regard your advice is contradictory.

Not raising with QQ in this spot is also pretty bad. The board is super drawy, not raising with QQ would be begging to get outdrawn or outplayed when an ace, king, nine, ten, or club falls. Thats 23 cards that we are letting outplay us or outdraw us on the turn. Gross.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 PM

if you raise QQ up and he pushes, how much are you going to like your hand? you might as well have total air because the range that shoves over a 3bet has us absolutely cooked.

i'd rather play a turn with QQ and a smaller pot than raise it up here.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 PM

also i think our fold equity is very minimal on this board
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM

If the str8/flush draw was OE, I'd r/r, I'm less inclined to jam the pot with an inside draw. I would call and see what develops on the turn.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the str8/flush draw was OE, I'd r/r, I'm less inclined to jam the pot with an inside draw. I would call and see what develops on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with this too, I get wet thinking about OE st8t flush draws, gutters I only get really excited about.
Your st8t may not be good either if it hits (flush as well of course), why I probably just call flop because if we raise and get 3-bet it sucks. There is going to be a lot of money in there with a monster draw but I hate getting it in with a draw, even one this big.

We are rep. a big hand and he bets half-pot into us....he has to like his hand quite a bit, another reason I'm playing fairly cautious....
Curious as to what others do here and how OP played.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 AM

I think I am with Cornell on the Re-Raise although I make it more like ~750, I think a 6x Re-raise may be a little much and is possibly fishy here (it may give away that you are on the draw and would rather he just went away), I think if nothing else because you have position here the re-raise is likely to get you a free card...

As a bit of a side note I think that if the 9 gutter hits for your str8 it is going to be good most of the time, I dont think villian bets into you here ever with a hand that would make your gutter no good unless he has K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , because you were the preflop raiser, and in that case you are preety royally screwed anyways...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Ok - thanks for the replies - I decide he raises w alot of hands and a good chance i could take the pot right here as my opening raise from EP sure indicates some strength.

I make it 880 and he immediately makes it 640 more to 1520. Now what?