Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 05:28 PM

Default My river line... like it or c/r instead?

This is from a while ago, so I don't remember my notes on this villain. Let's just say for now that he's an unknown. On the river, I thought that villain would be afraid of the board pairing and would check behind, so I bet out and planned on calling a raise. Do any of you check raise anyway?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8BB
Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: My river line... like it or c/r instead?

Either way is probably fine I think. Theres a couple factors to think about that are hard to really guess here.

I dont think we gain much value from bluffs by check-raising (hes unlikely to 3bet a hand here pf with no showdown value AND expect u to have a better hand that will fold maybe QJ JT or QT with the fd he could hope to fold out if hes got something similar but worse (JT of a different suit?)

is he likely to call a river bet with a pair less than aces? does check-raising lose much value to those hands?

how likely is he to bet call with an A?

the more likely he is to fold an underpair to a donk and the more likely he is to bet call with any ace he 3bet preflop or spew in blind battles 3betting light and running multistreet bluffs the better check-raising becomes I think. Im not sure exactly where the cutoff is for frequencies of each where it switches from one being better than the other though.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 PM

yeah i mean it's pretty read-based to me, is he going to check through here, or bet, is he aggro or passive, etc.

the reason i'd bet out also is that he could have a lot of non ace or king hands that he is getting frisky with in the blind battle. medium pairs, etc...or even bad aces. he's gonna fire 2 barrels with the former and maybe 3 with the latter, but maybe only 2. donkbetting lets him not check behind with the better part of his range, and i think ax looks you up anyway.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 PM

for example, he plays 77-qq this way for sure, a lot of aces, and so on (at least i do).
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 PM

I'm playing it the same, villain could check behind here with any pp or sometimes a weak A.