Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Default 88 turns a set, villain wants it capped?

Villain in this hand seems like a fairly decent player for this level, but have seen him spew with top pair or top two on coordinated boards. I have seen him play about 40 hands. He raises preflop with 15-20% of hands.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) SuperWhale is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 4 folds, SuperWhale calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.4SB, 2 players)
SuperWhale checks, UTG checks.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2.2BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SuperWhale bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SuperWhale 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, SuperWhale calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.2BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SuperWhale bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SuperWhale 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, SuperWhale calls.

Results:
Final pot: 18.2BB

I was wondering why he was so eager to cap the turn and river. I had put him on QQ+ after the turn cap? Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: 88 turns a set, villain wants it capped?

I play the flop &amp; turn the same. After his turn cap I start to worry about the wheel. The river I think is close between check/call and checkraise/call - the bet/3bet sucks as it usually wins 1 bet when ahead vs. 4 when behind.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 PM

its hard to imagine a decent villain raising utg with A3s but then again, its hard to imagine him raisin utg with 55, 22, or 44 either.. flop and turn I play the same, river is either a bet/call or ch/r /call
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think my river play here is an example of something that in my play causes me to lose lot when I am behind. I try to put villains on hands based on the standard pf play and resulting action and it doesn't always work. It turns out villain raised under the gun with A3o and then proceed to flop the nuts.

Plays like this tilt me.