Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Default NL10: T8s flops a straight - elementary hand?

I started to post this on the FR forum, but I think it belongs here. I'm playing like a beginner and need to relearn poker from the ground up.

I've been "running" REEEEEALLY bad -- probably based on skill as much as luck -- and that's really warped my perspective of simple hands. It really feels like I'm doing nothing but paying off big hands implying that I'm not very good at NLHE.

No reads, but my PT stats for MP1 are 42/19/2.33 over 64 hands.

And yes, I know this hand is really juvenile (I actually thought it was NL25, but that's fine, I'm playing down since I'm losing so much) but with my confidence shot I really need some perspective here.

And yes, I let myself get mid-stacked, but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing the way I'm bleeding money.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $10
UTG+1: $2.35
MP1: $23.40
Hero: $6.95
CO: $10.05
Button: $9.95
SB: $9.15
BB: $10

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.8, 8 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, 6 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>,

I mean, that's an obvious raise, right? People make stupid blocking bets of 1/28 all the time, and my job is to prevent them from serving their purpose, right?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: NL10: T8s flops a straight - elementary hand?

it's obvious all right. mp1 has to be reeling you in with something. he either misclicked or he has a boat. maybe take your bb special and go into c/c mode. how many times does someone get raised on the flop and minibet the turn?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's obvious all right. mp1 has to be reeling you in with something. he either misclicked or he has a boat. maybe take your bb special and go into c/c mode. how many times does someone get raised on the flop and minibet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Well, I can't improve except to catch a king to tie KT. So what good does check-call do here? At these stacks sizes, it's probably the ever-popular minbet/minbet/POOOOOSH line anyway. Hope the board double-pairs or trips and slows him down?

At the table I convinced myself that he'd bet trip nines that way, but I'm a horrible hand reader.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Incidentally he didn't have a boat, but rather KT. I suppose I should learn to fold trap hands like this and wait to stack him with tens full.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:17 PM

At this level, I would tend to raise and re-evaluate. People min donk with all kinds of hands here.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 AM

Well, let's look at the problem with raise/reeval:

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $8.9</font>,

Hero now has $3.85 behind in a pot of $10.65, so now I have to be moderately sure I'm beaten to fold. I guess I could fold getting 5:2 but I'd have to be pretty sure I'm not against a nut overplaying trips or even a good player with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]ten[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], right?

I could possibly raise a little less, but aggressive players are going to attack something like a $1 raise in a $2.80 pot anyway, so I don't know where I stand.

I do see a point to calling 10c, leaving the pot at $3, accepting the 28:1 odds on the proposition that my opponent is on trips or a draw. This sort of opponent always gets scared on the river that they won't get paid off (or are against a FH), so a river bet of $1 to $2 wouldn't stun me. If a third spade or a ten hits I just fold. Otherwise I think I can call a sub-pot bet in good conscience.