Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 01:48 AM

Default SH Limit Continuation Bets

How often do you guys continuation bet if you raised preflop with AK or AQ in position and had 1 or 2 callers? I tend to continuation bet every time and I think it might be a leak in my game. I will bet the flop, have one fold and another call, bet a blank turn and get another call and then check behind on the river and lose the pot to someone who caught a pair of twos. Perhaps continuation betting 50% of the time would be better?

I play at stars 25c/50c 6 max.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: SH Limit Continuation Bets

I think your larger problem may be betting the blank turn. I tend to be aggressive on the flop and bet if I raised preflop. If you have two overcards like AK, you can shove weaker hands out of the pot relatively cheaply and hope to hit the turn. If someone raises (especially if the board is coordinated), I consider folding. If the board looks quite scary with many cold callers seeing the flop, I usually check the flop and fold to a bet. Your top pair is probably not going to hold up if you hit it.

In actuality, the best action often depends on how your opponents play. Sometimes it's better to check if you have a maniac who will raise anyway. I enjoy doing this to disguise my hand. I could go on...
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: SH Limit Continuation Bets

I do not believe in continuation bets being automatic, especially in limit. If you always do something, your opponent knows your betting patterns. You may want a free card.