Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Male vs. Female in various sports..

The Williams sisters vs. Federer debate got me thinking about what it would take to come up with a fair matchup in all sports. How many women in each of the following does it take before it's an even matchup?

Basketball
Baseball
Football
Hockey
Golf
MMA

The disparity between men and women seems greatest in a game like basketball (if you've ever watched the WNBA, you'll know what I mean). And yet, an addditional player on offense is huge. I'm guessing 6 vs. 5, the men are favored, 7 vs. 5 it swings to women. Too many easy layups for the men to stop.

In baseball, I'm not sure if you can even overcome the power advantage of men. You can put enough bodies in the field to turn it into a homerun contest, but even then, I think the men might still win. I think at 20 vs. 9, the women might be favored, but men might have the edge vs. any number of women.

Football is another where power might be too much to overcome. You can build a protective bubble of bodies around the female quarterback and give her 25 receivers on offense. And on defense, there is a finite number of bodies with flailing arms that stops any NFL team. I'm thinking maybe 40. This would certainly be the most fun to watch and involve the most unique strategy on the female side.

Hockey is probably similar to basketball and not that interesting. There has already been a female goaltender in the NHL, who was terrible, but at least close to competitive. Not sure about the other positions. 6 vs. 5 is definitely not enough, 7 probably makes it close, and it might be 8 vs. 5 before it's balanced.

The rules would be different than the normal game, obviously. How would 2 women scrambling do at the same tees as Tiger?

I truly have no idea how a 2 vs. 1 matchup would go down, but I'd definitely spend $39.95 to see it.