Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Mood level and poker

Do you guys ever have a really bad session based on your mood? I find that when I am in a mood where I'm frustrated and trying to win my money back, I start forcing action. This happens also when I'm feeling hungry, tired or irritated.

It might be a good idea to constantly monitor your mood and the way you are playing. The moment you feel you are starting to lose it, quit. Only play again when you feel the urge to.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Mood level and poker

If you are in a bad mood, the chances of having a bad session are greater.

I've found that having a positive outlook on the game really does help me win.

Check this out, it's absolutely fascinating:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/index.html

Cliff Notes: There are experiments that have been conducted by very credible scientists that clearly shows that humans can have an effect on Random Number Generators.

I know I'm toeing the line of being one of those "ONLINE POKER IS TEH RIGGED!!!" but I believe this to be true.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:15 PM

I find if I play when I am brain tired or feeling impatient my game is not so good. Same goes when I try and play with a cold. My hat is off to those whose only income is poker!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 PM

I play awful when im tired, and play my A game when im in a good mood for playing poker, few cans of redbull wont hurt either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are in a bad mood, the chances of having a bad session are greater.

I've found that having a positive outlook on the game really does help me win.

Check this out, it's absolutely fascinating:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/index.html

Cliff Notes: There are experiments that have been conducted by hardcore trekkies that clearly shows that VULCANS can have an effect on Random Number Generators.

I know I'm toeing the line of being one of those "ONLINE POKER IS TEH RIGGED!!!" but I believe this to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-25-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It might be a good idea to constantly monitor your mood and the way you are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mood ring FTW.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 AM

of course, being angry, stressed, depressed, tired, drunk, stoned, etc...anything altering your state of mind will affect your play.

It can be detrimental to be on the opposite end of the spectrum too. Being overly happy, giddy, uncontrollably excited will also affect your play.

Stay even, levelheaded, and clearminded if you want to play your best.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 AM

There was an article in Canadian Poker Player a couple of months back that discussed this very subject.

Your mood is a significant factor in everything. If you're stressed or upset, do you really have a good day when it comes to anything else? School, work? Nope. Same goes to poker.

The article in CPP stated that you could tell the winners from the losers just by looking at them. The ones who have "bad runs" walk into the room with bags under their eyes, had a horrible day at work and look like they haven't washed their clothes in days. The ones who tend to win usually glide into the room with the smile on their face and it gets bigger when they turn it into money at the poker table.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM

yeah its huge for me. I wish it werent so, but when im a good mood, kind of detached, relaxed, generally happy - its almost like i cant lose. I know im going to go deep in the money when i sit down.

when im angry, stressed from tax season like now, it doesnt matter what i think or do, how much i tell myself to play well, i simply cannot win.