Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Default AK in 35+3 rebuy tournament

I have about 5000 in chips and everyone at the table cover me.

I`m UTG+1 and raises up to 600 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SB and BB calls.
Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] check, check, and I check. ( maybe I should bet the flop? )

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] check, check check again.
River: j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SB checks, BB bets 600, I raise to 1800, SB re-raises to 5500, and BB calls, I have now 2200 chips left. I did hit my gutshot, but I was sure atleast one of them had the flush so I throw away my nut-straight. ( I realize that it was a bad fold because of the odds,but I did anyway)

SB shows K9 for a K high straight and BB mucks...wtf?

what and were should I play different? Please comment!

Best Regards
Old 02-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: AK in 35+3 rebuy tournament

You should have bet the flop...you'll probably take down the pot, and you'll know where you're at in the hand. As for the river...the reraise is not a good idea, as you know that it is likely one of them was drawing at the flush. You are not going to be able to get value on your straight either way.
You need to fold the hand in the end, despite odds, to stay alive in the tournament. Their play suggests nothing other than a flush.
Note: your straight is not "nut" when there's a possible flush. Nut refers to the best possible current hand.
Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2007, 04:40 PM

I think Spanga has saidit all really.

Betting the flop or the turn would probably have taken it down. Once the flush hit you can't reraise at all or call the all-in.

Yes you folded the best hand but that is a rare occurrence in this situation. It WAS the right decision to fold (which shows to me you saw the flush but in that case, why reraise?)

Inconsistent play and a BIG mistake really.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:04 PM

I don't hate taking a free card on this flop.

This is a flop that is likely to hit the blinds in some way and with 3 nut outs, 10 outs to what should be the best hand, and back door spades you do not want to face a check raise nor do you want to face a smooth call and turn push by the blinds.

I don't hate checking the turn either although I would have taken a stab at this point.

On the river it makes sense that neither player had a flush, especially not the SB. Most players will bet their draws on the flop or the turn and it is very rare that in a three way pot that went check-check-check, check-check-check, the SB would have the gall to check a made flush on the river. If the SB is a thinking player he could realize that once that jack fell anything that you are raising with UTG has a piece of the board but I am not about to assume that the villain is a thinking player without you giving us that read in your OP. Regardless, checking a flush on the river would be very rare.

I like your river raise a lot. Any 9 has to call and you will get a lot of calls from 2 pair hands too. I usually make real raises but given the action in this hand I think that your baby raise is fine as you want the BB to call with a weak 2 pair on this scary board.

After the SB check-3bets you and the BB calls then you have to fold. You posted the results but I still don't believe that the SB does not have a flush with the way that he played the hand, I am amazed that he thought his hand was good enough for a check-3bet in this spot and the play shows that he is either really bad or incredible... my gut says its the former.

All in all I like the way that you played the hand. Don't be results oriented.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Betting the flop or the turn would probably have taken it down. Once the flush hit you can't reraise at all or call the all-in.

Yes you folded the best hand but that is a rare occurrence in this situation. It WAS the right decision to fold (which shows to me you saw the flush but in that case, why reraise?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The logic in bold is so bad that its scary.

Making thin value bets is important in MTTs. The OP had no reason to think that his hand was not best and there were a lot of hands that would call his raise. Failing to raise in thin spots because a reraise will make you puke is wrong. Nobody is bluff-3betting on this board (well, nobody but the SB) so the OP has a lot of value in raising the river and folding to a 3bet
Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The logic in bold is so bad that its scary.

Making thin value bets is important in MTTs. The OP had no reason to think that his hand was not best and there were a lot of hands that would call his raise. Failing to raise in thin spots because a reraise will make you puke is wrong. Nobody is bluff-3betting on this board (well, nobody but the SB) so the OP has a lot of value in raising the river and folding to a 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet we also see people 3-betting with worse hands too. If we are folding to a 3-bet then why reraise the one person who only started to bet when he saw the flush on the board. By calling we aren't folding the best hand but we can when we raise.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 PM

checking flop is not too bad. Mostly you should bet though. I call river as I imagine someone with fd would have bet turn
Old 02-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Anyone else think rasing the river is a good move?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 PM

I raise river every time here
Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Despite just saying you'd call the river? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]