Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Always stealing from those sitting out in bb

Okay, on net, whenever anyone is in bb, and to a smaller degree, the sb, i tend to raise 3bb, often with any 2.

Its strange how a table can be asleep and not notice this.

Anyone else found this out as well?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Always stealing from those sitting out in bb

From title I assume that you mean when they are sitting out?

Anyway, I certainly think I notice this more than my opponents (based simply upon their actions) but only in late position will I begin to raise with almost any two.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM

What's your position?

Everybody is going to give you less credit, opening yourself to a re-steal.

If I'm the SB, BB is sitting out, and CO or CO-1 open-raises I don't necessarily need that much of a hand to push.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Remember that someone sitting out only improves your seating position by one.

Also, the possibility of someone restaling will increase due to someone sitting out.

Steal would still have to be in late position only that you are a bit more likely to be successful.

Its not easy chips as you seem to imply with your post.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 PM

I have had a few tourneys $5 stars when someone is sitting out when they are in the bb, when no one else would raise them, and i could steal with any 2.

Ironically, i even had one tourney when the player to act after me was sitting out, and most times, not even the co or button would limp or steal!

Final table at dso was different. There was a couple of people who knew what was going on, and the blind of the person sitting out was very much attacked!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 PM

I always resteal very light (top 33% of hands) on people raising when there is someone sitting out in the BB.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 PM

The play in low buy in tourneys after the first hour has become really weak tight lately. The first hour is still pretty donkish.

So, yeah lately ive seen situations where when someone was sitting out you could steal their blind almost at will.

I still would not steal from them everytime because than you are very exploitable via the resteal. But yeah at a weak tight table stealing from the guy sitting out is profitable. However, its not like your raise is a vacuum and other players dont notice (although like i have said whenever ive played low stakes lately it seems like no one cares if you steal everytime)
Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 PM

more times than not though the steal will be successfull...no? so if the blinds are at a point where it is profitable to steal (say after the 1st break when people are weak tight) getting caught stealing once or twice is ok no? because stealing the blinds if they are profitable enough will come up +cEV right? it soudns right in my head but im not quite sure if it IS right...does some1 understand my point?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:03 AM

Without an ante you have to be successful 2 out of 3 times. With an ante you have to be right alot less. So you might be correct that a weak tight table you should thoerectically steal from an absent blind everytime (past the ante levels)

In my way of thinking it might be the most profitable to steal 3 out of 4 times or something so that your chances of playing back at lower. However, others might have a different opine.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:33 AM

I steal in that position with almost any two as well until someone wakes up and plays back at me. Then I just try to vary it like 3 out of 4 times too. I played one 180 SNG one time and took the blinds down virutally everytime I raised in the steal position so I was doing it everytime and kept a healthy stack from it when the blinds/antes got large.