Button ($106.45)
SB ($66.40)
BB ($27.30)
UTG ($26.85)
UTG+1 ($19.85)
MP1 ($28.30)
MP2 ($1.15)
Hero ($21.00)

reads: MP1 is LAG, CO is a little loose pre-flop, and a calling station post-flop. Button is fishy, and will call a sizeable pre-flop bet with any facecard.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.2</font>, CO calls $1.20, Button calls $1.20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.95.

Flop: ($5.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.9</font>, CO calls $1.90, Button calls $1.90, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($10.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

River: ($10.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.2</font>, CO calls $3.20, Button folds.

Final Pot: $17.25

so was i right to keep the pot small, or should i have played a bit more aggressively? Am I ahead enough here to justify putting more money in the pot? I'm fairly certain I played this poorly.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: JJ hand played too timidly?

Consider yourself lucky that river bet didnt get raised. I like the turn check, and if you are gonna lead lead for 5-7, cause 90% of the time that will get raised.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:28 PM

thanks

had somebody bet the turn, i should fold, correct? that was my plan once my flop bet was called.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Yeah.
With two callers and no draws, you can be pretty sure you're behind here most of the time. Remember- most fish will call their whole stack down with top pair, but they won't bet it. Use their passiveness to check through and catch a jack.

I like the way this is played until the river, when you either need to make a real bet or check it along. Personally, I check it along.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:42 PM

What about checking the flop ? With three callers I would be pretty sure that there is someone with a Q, maybe with top kicker.

regards,

dardo
Old 02-11-2006, 02:01 PM

either check flop, or bet closer to pot
Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Hi Samurai,

Do you always bet such small amounts on the flop? If you are going to bet the flop here you need to make it your normal size bet. If this is your normal size bet you need to up what you normally bet. Don't adjust your bet sizes based on your hand strength, it's a dead giveaway.

Garon
Old 02-11-2006, 02:39 PM

This is not a good situation to C-bet. With 3 opponents their is a pretty good chance that someone has a pair of Queens or better. If you do C-bet make it 4-5. Also, your small bet allows hands like middle pair or pocket nines and tens to call then bet you out on the next street when you surrender. The second queen is a good card for you as it counterfeits any 2 pair and makes it less likely one of your opponents has a queen. On the river you should check/call a small to moderate bet if CO bets and button folds or if CO checks and button bets as one of them can easily be making a play at the pot given that your flop bet allowed them to stay in w/ potentially weak holdings.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:39 PM

the flop bet was too small, i agree. normally, i bet about half to 3/4 the pot on the flop... i don't remember consciously choosing to bet smaller here, so i don't know why i did...

in any case, how much do you recommend betting on this flop? a little more than 1/2 the pot? or is it better to check?

personally, i don't like checking here because it nets me no information.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
personally, i don't like checking here because it nets me no information.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have all the information you need. 3 players called a 5bb raise pre flop. Two of them will act after you and their is an overcard on the flop. If you are behind you have 2 outs. If you are ahead you may be forced to surrender on future streets b/c you are OOP and will have to slow down.