Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Plaza will host the largest poker tournament of the year

Any one know of any online satellites for this 50k buy in?

www.worldpokerclassicchampionship.com
Old 03-22-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Not!

This may be the largest buy-in of the year, but it will not be anywhere near the largest. I am guessing that several events will have larger prize pools and larger first place prizes. I have heard very little about this event from the other players during the last few months, and don't expect to see all that many people in it. However, I have been wrong many times before.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Not!

Are you going to playing in it?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM

I imagine I won't, unless it's going to generate enough TV time that PokerStars wants to pay the entry fee. I like to think I have decent game selection skills, and I don't expect this event to be very good in that regard. You won't have any dead money to speak of here, so my edge, if any, will be small. And who needs a low edge, high variance tournament for $50K?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 AM

I agree, at top level, having the price be that high, it's hard to imagine many sats into it even.

The Plaza is such a ummmmm slimey place too, it's kinda surprizing that it's the one doing it, but the owner himself plans PAN there regularly, another unusual twist to the place.

Now if they'd get rid of that urine smell.... 8)

>TW<
Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 AM

I can't imagine that many people being in it, let alone anyone who even someone like Greg could consider defeatable on any given day.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Plaza will host the largest poker tournament of the year

Interesting. They are taking the time slot of the WSOP and making this the biggest buyin. They seem to be trying to create what the WSOP was. The $10K side event is scheduled for 5 days. The $50K main event in scheduled for 2 days, so they must not be expecting a huge field.

$50K is probably a little more in real terns than $10K when the WSOP started out. To really create something like the old WSOP you might need a $100K or $200K buyin.

If there are online satellites, it will probably bring in more players, plus some 2nd rung pros attracted by the online qualifiers. Still at $50K it should be the toughest noninvitational tournament around.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Have you been back to the Plaza lately. There's new owners and some renovations going on???

Just curious!

I'm staying downtown 1 night next month, I'll post my thoughts about the poker area
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Plaza will host the largest poker tournament of the year

You make a point. 35 years and the main event buy-in has been $10,000. So what would $10,000 in the year 1970 be worth today? 3x or 4x?.... It never did increase with inflation only in event population of players. Greg makes a fine point. The Plaza may need to catch the attention of TV media for more of a online participation. But who knows.

www.worldpokerclassicchampionship.com
Old 03-26-2005, 03:12 PM

I have tried my very best to force the Plaza to get the ball rolling on this. Print ads, TV, etc. I have called and called Ben Magee. One of our local cardrooms down in Laughlin has been trying for months to run satellites for the WPC, with lammers that can be used for any event entry. Not only is Ben dropping the ball totally, he won't even return phone calls nor will he send the lammers! Right now the CRM has been giving out certificates or cash, whichever the winner prefers.

They have completely bombed on this one, regardless of the free offers of help they have received, which have been numerous.

I still have my hotel reservations for the duration of this festival, but I doubt I will be able to make many events, as I will be recovering from surgery, then going into chemo as soon as I am able.

Why do I always back losing causes? Strong reminders of the WPPA are flashing in my crazy brain!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net